Plywood sources

Hey guys. I have a project that will require some 3mm and 6mm birch plywood and was wondering if anyone had some good sources for it. I have found some nice priced sheets at Lowe’s but they often slightly warped. The project is for a musical instrument so I want to start off with nice wood.

Menard’s has nice 5-ply 6mm Baltic Birch plywood for $30 for a 4x8 sheet:

https://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/panel-products/hardwood-panels/1-4-x-4-x-8-baltic-birch-plywood/1253100/p-1444441908454-c-13334.htm

Curt

You might also try B&B Lumber. I find they often have slightly better quality material at the same or slightly lower prices than the big box stores. I have not bought birch plywood there, though.

Star lumber on West St is another good option. They sell Baltic birch in 5x5 ft sheets but they also often have smaller pieces too.

Steve

I got some very nice 6mm at Intermountain Wood Products last year. Prices are good and discount for MakeICT members. https://www.intermountainwood.com/wichita_hardwoodlumber.htm

1 Like

I briefly looked for 3mm, also for musical instruments, but never found any. If you find some please let us know.

Maybe our resident luthier, @Mcfiddles, can help. Maybe he can teach a class too!

Great idea. How do we get that conversation started?

Thanks for the great sources. I’m going to have to check out the smaller local stores like intermountain or B&B here in the next couple of weeks. I’ll post if I find 3mm somewhere but I’ll probably have to order it off amazon. A class on musical instruments and their construction would be awesome. The project I am starting is a fully functional Hurdy Gurdy using laser cut wood and 3D printed parts.

1 Like

OK, consider me suitably guilted out. I promise that when my life gets straightened out, I’ll participate more. Until then, I’d be happy to guide anyone considering making an instrument. I’m so impressed, and I look forward to seeing the hurdy gurdy! They are pretty complicated and out of my usual comfort zone, but I’d love to see progress. Honestly we don’t use plywood at all in my everyday work, except for some 1mm patching/reinforcing panels on some basses, and it’s not available locally that I know of.
Please contact me if you think I can guide someone, I really don’t mean to be a no-show…

2 Likes

Oh, no, don’t feel guilty! I haven’t taught any classes either. Just know that if you ever decide to teach, some of us are interested.

Thanks for the offer of help. I know you by reputation. But I am afraid it’s going to be a while before I start on instruments.

Intermountain has 3mm,6mm,9mm,12mm,15mm and 18mm 5x5 Baltic Birch! They also have 12mm, 15mm and 18mm 4x8.