Plumbing Push to the Finish

Our volunteer plumber, Rick Love, is really busy and hasn’t been able to come finish our plumbing. He and I spent a couple of hours discussing the work necessary to finish our bathrooms in the South Hall. We are going to need volunteers to complete this work under his guidance. With about a dozen volunteers we could knock this somewhat exhaustive list out in about three evenings from 6pm-9pm. Ideally this would be Monday July 27th-29th.
While it would be great if the dozen volunteers were all experienced with plumbing it is by no means necessary. 12 people who are excited to help and ready to get in on the action will get the job done; We could handle up to 20 volunteers for this project.
If you want to learn how to sweat pipe, make drain connections, put together a toilet, or run and clamp Pex THIS IS YOUR OPPORTUNITY.
The Plumbing completion list includes:

1. Hang Water Fountains South Hall x 2
    a. drill or cut holes in the bottom of chiller housing to allow 1-1/4" pipe to drop out of housing
    b. mount brackets for water fountains to hang from wall, relocate existing obstructions as needed
    c. replace existing galvanized line with pex or copper water line and new quarter turn shutoffs
    d. cut and remove existing lead drain line and replace to sewer main with pvc and no-hub connects
    e. hang water fountains and check for function
  2. South Hall Sewer Vent Chase
    a. cut and remove approximately 20’ of existing steel 6" vent line leaving a 6" - 8" stub at each end, to be replaced with 6" pvc.
    b. while pipe is gone, replace existing non-code compliant hose bib with new, sauter into place
    c. cap existing 1" connections on supply side where required.
    d. run new line to new toilets
    e. add boiler drain at East end of existing supply line
    f. rebuild existing vent line to include sani-T or Wye connections to vents for urinals
  3. South Hall Women’s Restroom
    a. finish vent line from new ADA sink at West end of bathroom with sani-T connection for sink
    b. assemble new ADA toilet and mount to flange, connect to water
    c. hang ADA sink West end of the bathroom with offset sink strainer
    e. hang 2 sinks East end of the bathroom
    f. hang mirror in bathroom
    g. hang paper towel dispenser in bathroom
    h. connect and leak check any missing toilet flush valves on existing toilets
    i. finish extensions on doors to provide a tight seal
    j. mount soap dispensers
  4. South Hall Men’s Restroom
    a. finish vent line from new ADA sink at West end of bathroom with sani-T connection for sink
    b. assemble new ADA toilet and mount to flange, connect to water
    c. hang ADA sink West end of the bathroom with offset sink strainer
    e. hang 2 sinks East end of the bathroom
    f. hang mirror in bathroom
    g. hang paper towel dispenser in bathroom
    h. connect and leak check any missing toilet flush valves on existing toilets
    g. fill with concrete and tile the area under the urinals
    h. add flush valve to middle urinal
    i. finish extensions on doors to provide a tight seal
    j. hang paper towel dispenser
    k. hang mirrors above sinks
    l. mount soap dispensers
  5. New ADA Bathroom
    a. finish vent/drain connection at sink with sani-T
    b. add offset sink strainer to sink
    c. finish stain and urethane on entry door
  6. Existing Bathroom
    a. mount new comfort height dual flush toilet
    b. clean out bathroom
    See, it’s just 6 little things to get done.
1 Like

#2 sounds like a bit of a stinker…

I’ve got a bad feeling those vent pipes are pretty thick in a tight space… not sure if a 12in wrecker blade on a sawzall would be enough to get that job done or if we would be able to get in there with a 14in dia masonry saw. OR how clean do the cuts need to be?

I’d be open to suggestions on how to cut those out.

Would the plasma or oxy acetylene torch work? Not sure if it’s possible to get power for the plasma torch in there.

Diablo blades on a saw-z-all.

probably 1 blade for every2-3 cuts. I’m picking them up tomorrow. The cuts need to be clean and square. I can discuss further tomorrow at the building. Though I will most probably be there tonight as well.

I’m happy to admit that my previous conflicting Tuesday commitments have now been canceled so I’m back to being available on Tuesdays. I’m planning on being there on 7/28 & should be able to make it most nights this week (except tonight).

2 Likes