Plasma Upgrades Help Needed

Now, that’s a knife

2 Likes

@jerryjacot I think @Jimmy is going to post, but in case he forgets. Your bracket was awesome. Unfortunately Jimmy didn’t totally think it through. He had to redesign the plan and hacked up your bracket to make it work. If you have some time, and would be willing, could you take his modified one and print a clean version of it?

1 Like

I think I can work on it this week. I saw the modified installation last friday. Is there a reason I can’t attach a target to the carriage instead of making an angled bracket. It would take me quite a bit less time to re-print the bracket and fabricate a target and bond it on than to redesign the bracket.

2 Likes

Um… yes.
Retired aerospace materials and process guy here. Career at both Boeing/Spirit and Orthopedic Research Inst.

My plasma coating background -I was on a team that was developing a coating for hip joint implants, and applying and curing it in the same operation. A mid to late 90s effort.
Other Corona discharge cleaning heads were utilized and I still have a rough design for a composite plasma cleaning head that monitors cleanliness as it cleans a surface [knows if its etching too deep]…

But no…I dont have a plasma cutting torch even though those things are now common at steel plate suppliers. So yes… it was a figurative light saber i referred to above.
TMI?

(Oi agree… now thass a knoif!)

1 Like

I went ahead and printed a new bracket and installed it this evening and clamped a target to the torch carriage. I didn’t bond it on because I wasn’t sure where it would be needed. But it seems to trip the sensor very consistently and reliably. Pretty easy to adjust the positions of the sensor. Once we know where we want the target on the carriage it can be bonded on pretty easily for a permanent install. I would like to get my little orange c-clamp back; I brought that from home.

2 Likes

Frick… a month later and I’m slowly getting to the downdraft table and ventilation system…

I have a decent idea for venting out the cnc plasma… though I’m kinda wishing we had flip flopped where the welders and plasma are now. I still need to get the 14in exhaust tubing, but I’ll double check our stash of materials to see what we already have this evening. I’ll also take a look at what we need in in regards to the main ventilation system.

What I saw when I last poked my head into the attic area wasn’t exactly the most promising for a high flow ventilation system, and might take some rework whenever we redo the roof. Right now, there are a bunch of electrical lines in front of where I would like to exhaust everything from the metalshop, so we may have to push exhaust to the west end of the building until we can either move the electrical or the roof penetration.

The roof penetration:

3 Likes

With everything on your plate, I don’t think anyone would fault you about the time it’s taking. Thanks for everything you contribute to the space.

4 Likes

There is a decent amount of stuff on my plate, but this was one of those tasty chunks of meat ball that got stuck under the plate. lol

One of the things I had intended to do a couple weeks back was to order the exhaust blower. Unfortunately, it looks like Dayton now has 30+ day waits on their blowers that would meet all of our needs (unless we wanted a heavy duty one that is louder than a jet engine). I’ll have to do some digging and calling on other potential options like scavenging a blower from an commercial furnace or pulling one from a restaurant (restaurants seem to have a special category for exhaust fans that may make them suitable for fire rated environments).

3 Likes

I did an attic fan and had some of these design bumps and supply chain delays.
I can carry screwdrivers and battery packs. If thats helpful. Im a bit of a human wheelbarrow when using my powerchair. I know how to say " darn, thats a beotch."
Im not sure if I will ever use the plasma, but it very much intrigues me. Im not a cowboy-cutout kinda appreciator, but I WILL think of sumpm nobody else has cut out… maybe the mantis version of an Easter Island head … just riffing for the peanut gallery.

And Thanks, for doing what you do as a maker for makers. We might cuss and even throw things at you, but we still appreciate your skill and stick to it iv ness ship full ness. Hang in there. We are rooting for you. Until we forget.
Were you the one fixing the door?

3 Likes