Pipe Bender

I am working on shipping a used playground to Haiti that the group I go with each year will install at a school in January. There are some pieces that need repaired or replaced. One of those is a 2 or 2.5 inch pipe that needs to be bent to close to a 90°. Any metal shop guys know if we have what’s needed to do that? Thanks!

1 Like

Talk to Holzman racing. They build tube frames for racecars but could probably handle a 90 in 2 1/2in tube with ease. They only charged me $8/bend for my roadster, but it took them a few days to get to it.

They have an old mandrel bender that can get some pretty tight radio - about 6in.

1 Like

We might have the dies to bend 2in pipe in the metal shop… Is this pretty thin wall material? My only concern is crushing the pipe if you are trying to get a tight radius.

2 Likes

Go slow and dont try to get a huge bend in a few go. Takes Multiple passes. Its only a 90 degree bend so shouldnt be a huge issue

1 Like

Jens, the dies for pipe bending at MakeICT will do up to 2” schedule 40 PIPE. I cannot remember how large the tubing roller goes, but it is very hard to make a sharp bend on a roller, especially at 2-2.5”. So if it is tubing you might want to see if Holzmans or someone else have dies large enough for the thin wall. Pipe dies CANNOT bend tubing without kinking and deformation (unless you fill will sand and do some other black magic). My dies at my shop go up to 2” schedule 80 pipe. I can make larger dies for pipe if needed. I have not made any round tubing dies and do not know the exact science. Side note: Holzmans is a family biz AND are great people, have done business with them for over a decade and cannot speak higher of anyone.

2 Likes

Thanks for the input. Holzmans couldn’t help with this size pipe. I read the manual for our pipe bender and it says it can do what I need. Any chance someone familiar with the tool is available to help me this evening or tomorrow evening? I have not taken the metal shop safety class, so could use help from someone who has. Thanks!

1 Like

I will not be much help but I’m here and metal shop certified