Pinball playfield Rotisserie

This playfield rotisserie is a design that is popular on a website for pinheads like me called pinside.com. i took the materials list and build instructions straight from this thread.

I used the drill press in the metalshop to drill holes in some of the tees of this galvanized pipe. Then i used the the drill taps in the shop to cut threads in those holes. This saved me some time and the cost of the buying drill taps. THANKS!

Now i will be able to pull the playfield from that Stellar Wars pictured and go through the process of some minor and major playfield repairs that need to be done to my antique without the strain and limitations of standing over the pinfield cabinet with the playfield only able to raise and lower on a left to right hinge point.

4 Likes

Another reason I chose this design rather than purchasing a pre-built rotisserie is so that once i built it i could modify it easier. I already see a couple of changes I’d like to make.

Eventually i may install a power supply so that later, when i fesign my own playfield, i can test the placement and operation of components in an easy to access environment.

4 Likes

FYI in case anyone (like me) wondered what a pinball rotisserie is. (No it does not BBQ pinballs.)

Pinball playfield rotisseries are a means of holding a pinball playfield (the plywood piece that has all the bumpers, targets, flippers, etc. on it). As the name implies, it rotates to allow you to easily work on both sides of the playfield.

5 Likes

Nice work, Brian. Glad to see it

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification for those that would’nt know. I’ll need to remember to define things more clearly for others.

2 Likes

Thata really cool. Ive been wanting to get into pinball machines lately, they have a great mix of electronics, mechanics, and nostalgia.

3 Likes

If you build your own it’s also got carpentry, design, possibly metalworking. Thats one of my eventual goals is to build one. Ive been making a list of possible themes. When i looked at your profile, i saw you’re into making stained glass. It gave me the idea for a Cursed Cathedral theme. Stained glass for the pinball backglass. Plays creepy organ music. Lots of gargoyles. It needs alot more work lol

3 Likes

Do you have any resources in getting started on building one?

1 Like

it looks like it could breakdown relatively quickly for storage unless of course it is always in use . i think i would create a quick change table top for it

I was just looking at this again. It looks like a great design that uses hardware store items, easy to get. The only problem I see is with the uprights attaching to the bottom horizontal cross pieces. Unless those are threaded super tight into all the T’s, it looks like there’s a potential for the uprights to twist to the left or right, or become un-threaded enough to let it collapse left or right.
I would drill holes through the T’s and the pipes where they are threaded together and put a pin or bolt or something through them so they can’t become unthreaded. I’d do that on all three of the lower T’s on both uprights.
You wouldn’t want this thing to collapse on you when you had it loaded with your playfield.

1 Like

Interesting observation. I’ll give your suggestion some though and i might do a test or 2.

2 Likes

Yes, this might be in the Murphy’s law category. If it can go wrong, it will. Lol