Oooold Dell running XP

I doubt anyone wants this old Dell Latitude D620 laptop. Old and slow, running Windows XP.
However, if someone needs it, you’re welcome to it. I’d rather pass it on before recycling it.

BTW, is there some handy-dandy three-key command that will wipe it? I don’t see anything personal in the files, but there’s all kinds of nooks and crannies I know nothing about!

Also, where is the best place to recycle electronics?

Thanks for looking.

A laptop of that age isn’t more useable with the original hard drive intact. (In my honest opinion).

I would probably boot from a Linux thumb drive then run dd with /dev/zero as input and /dev/sda as output and blocksize of 2k. If even more security is wanted you could run with if=/dev/urandom first, followed by if=/dev/zero .

You could just use follow the first minute of this YouTube video then keep the hard drive or beat on it with a hammer. How to Replace a Hard Drive in the Dell latitude D620 - YouTube

2 Likes

I believe Starkey still accepts laptops for recycling. E-Cycling | Welcome to Starkey

2 Likes

Thank you, Mike.
I appreciate your feedback and the link. And especially your sense of humor!!!
I found someone who actually wants the computer… he says that XP is the last version that will run Oregon Trail. Yay!

Maxwolf has a open source clone in C# on github. That was a quick google search to prove a coworker wrong.

1 Like

Maxwolf open source clone of Oregon Trail on GitHub https://github.com/Maxwolf/OregonTrail

From the readme: 21. The less buffalo you kill the better deal you shall receive from Indian wanting clothes

1 Like