¡OMG! Pug Mill

Our recycling game just got kicked up about 1,000 notches!!! Way to go Scott!

7 Likes

It’s super awkward and heavy. But due to my stage hand semi packing Tetris abilities scott and I barely lifted a finger(after he got it to the space). The welding cart helped tremendously.

4 Likes

Also thanks Scott !

1 Like

@Mark.S and I got the forward/reverse switch installed, and it didn’t even catch on fire. Just keep in mind that the motor has to be stopped before it can change direction.

2 Likes

Patience, grasshopper.

1 Like

Thank you Thank you Thank you Christian and Mark!

Yeah, Christian. I was hoping someone would find something for you to do around the space. I know how bored you’ve been lately, just sitting around doing nothing every night.

And day.

And weekend.

2 Likes

He really is probably overall the most helpful person to the organization and fellow members. Maybe we can show our gratitude by chipping in to buy him a cookie.

2 Likes

Christian really is a great helper and great asset to all. Thanks Christian.

3 Likes

Well that didn’t take long! I can’t be sure what happened, but I did see that something let out the magic smoke: emanating from the bottom of the reversing switch?? I opened up the switch itself and didn’t find anything particularly odd, although when I measured the two inputs they read <200 ohms, which is bad… No telling if that was due to the charring, or it was the cause. At any rate, I wired up a new switch and it is working again. Hopefully this time it stays that way. Otherwise we’ll have to figure out another solution.

After a small electrical snafu the pug mill is mixing and pugging. Thank you very much for all you help Mark, David, Josh, Devin, and Jimmy. Our recycling/reclaiming clay process has got a big shot in the arm!! It is a large piece of equipment that will cramp our little space for a bit but it is worth it!!!

5 Likes

If there’s something that we as a group can do to make it better (safer, more reliable, more efficient, more convenient), just say it. Ceramics is really firing on all jets. Good on you guys!

1 Like

The power cord needs replaced. The outer covering is brittle and coming apart.

Do we have flexibility in the budget to reimburse Scott for this if he chose to make it a permanent part of the studio?

1 Like

I did see some breaks in the insulation of the power cord, but otherwise it seemed to be in ok shape. In which case I can put some silicone wrap on it. If it’s actually in worse condition than I remember, I can probably find a replacement. I’ll check it out next time I’m there.

What did it cost? We’ll find a way, even if we need to do a quick fundraiser. This seems like it would end up being a key piece of equipment for Ceramics, so I’m sure we can make it happen. I’m not clear on the details, though. Scott bought it, right? At auction or somewhere?

2 Likes

I won the bid on PurpleWave.com. It came from the Ulysses School District. the final auction was $447 and about $50 in gas for the drive to Ulysses and back. So, $500 would cover it complete.

1 Like

As a board member I fully support reimbursing Scott for this purchase.

@ScottS

To put it into perspective, how much does a pug mill typically sell for? My understanding is that at $500 it was a real good deal. That should make reimbursement more palatable.

1 Like

BTW, there are holes in the bottom of the legs that would accept casters if you want to make it more mobile.

1 Like

I think @ScottS had said he’d seen the same model go for $1,200 or more in other auctions, which is why he was willing to take the money plunge on this one. I’ll let him chime in to be sure on that.

Our income vs expenses to date in the studio have been pretty even as we haven’t been buying much clay the past couple months thanks to Scott’s hurculean efforts to work through the back log of recycling, by hand, which has saved us a good deal of money. As well, the implementation of shelf rental has successfully provided us with an additional revenue stream.

In the past few days with the pug mill he’s managed to get through weeks of manual recycling work. This thing is just awesome!

Some heavy duty casters would be great since the thing is heavy AF.

Thanks so much to everyone that’s been helping recondition it and up to full speed!

1 Like