North high art

I’d like to gather items for this and help get them to the students. @deanday maybe we could even host some of the results in the gallery.

Facebook post text: Hey guys, I teach drawing and painting at North High. I am currently planning a unit focused on painting as a form of installation and mixed media art. I am looking to collect your random broken “junk” or recyclables for this assignment. Kids need to collect a non-traditional material to use as their canvas. As part of the goal of this project is communicate a political or social theme through not only imagery but presentation or materials. This could be a broken cabinet door, fabric scraps, Yarn, Old books, Records, CD’s, Cassette tapes, VHS tapes, Old electronics, plastics, broken tools, Shovel heads, Scrap wood, Plexi, Random lids, Mirrors, a bucket of keys or locks, cannisters, plastic bottles etc. Things that students could repurpose with an intentional meaning. If you have junk you have just been meaning to take the the dump that has a reasonable surface to paint on please send me a message on here with a quick photo and I will come pick it up. We have some sheets of scrap metal and some scrap pieces of wood and would gladly take more if any of you have it. I also have one student who is searching for any yard signs from August’s vote no or vote yes campaigns.

6 Likes

I’m certain I can dig up a variety of things from my my house she may find useful.

2 Likes

She will be by the space Monday evening and loves the idea of sharing their work at the space after it’s completed.

2 Likes

I have some off-cuts from some of the projects I made as kids toys. Some are circles and rounded squares and anything I thought would be cool to add to art. I thought I would keep them around a while and see if someone wanted them. Do you think she would be interested or would they look too planned?

2 Likes

You can ask her directly on Facebook.

1 Like

Yes! This looks like a job for @Kez she JUST leaned and organized hackables. Anything she isn’t using for the sign can go to this. There is a plethora of ‘lost things’ in there!

Faith, trust, and Pixie dust!

···

On Thu, Apr 13, 2023, 14:28 Malissa Long via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| Malissa MakeICT Member
April 13 |

• | - |

You can ask her directly on Facebook.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

| ladeana Board Member & Classroom Management
April 13 |

• | - |

I have some off-cuts from some of the projects I made as kids toys. Some are circles and rounded squares and anything I thought would be cool to add to art. I thought I would keep them around a while and see if someone wanted them. Do you think she would be interested or would they look too plann…

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

2 Likes

That would make an interesting show for our Show Room, I will be at the our space to discuss the details Monday.

2 Likes

If it’s ok with the @Classroom_Management we can collect items by the desk in Room 4 so everything will be together for her?

1 Like

We have Civil Air Patrol on the Calendar for Friday and Game Night on Friday and Saturday. We would probably be fine during game night… but I wouldn’t put things there until after the CAP meeting on Friday.

2 Likes

Sounds good! I’ve started a box. It’s small (I wish this had come through earlier this week :woman_facepalming:t3:), but we’ll have a sizable donation.

Thanks @Christian for catching and tagging me, cuz I wouldn’t have seen this otherwise. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

I just finished drywalling a basement.
Some people carve bas relief into drywall.
But you said “painting”.

Also, I was shopping the used cabinet doors at ReStore yesterday. They have a great selection. I thonk they go for like $3 each. I would buy a couple of “high character” doors that might otherwise not find a home. And donate them. I see there is a pickup spot at MakeICT.
I know what to do.
Btw, is there a sundown to this project?

3 Likes

I’ll see what I can find. Love helping young artist in the making.

2 Likes

You would need to ask the teacher.

1 Like

Do not put anything in classroom 4 that does not have the approval of the teacher. I do not want to have to clean up a “junk” pile. I have enough problems with people randomly placing things they don’t want anymore in my classrooms or in classroom 4. (There are no places in the space where you are allowed to drop off things without asking the person in charge of that area!)

3 Likes

I have a wall full of VHS tapes and am just down the street from north high

2 Likes

The teacher is aware of the post on our forum but I don’t think she has joined. She’s been responding to people on the original FB post

2 Likes

Thanks @Malissa ! I contacted her directly. She’s planning to come get a bunch of these old tapes. I’m sure there will be some left if anyone else wants some “vintage” media :laughing:

3 Likes

Hey guys! Thank you so much for reaching out to help with this project. I have also shared this link with my co-teacher so she can also do pick ups of some things. I apperciate everyone contacting me through fb. I will be by Make ICT on Monday to pick up anything anyone leaves. If you need to contact me for a pick up or have things youre not sure I or Nicole could use send me text: 316.737.1517.

6 Likes

Waiting for someone to ask what vhs is

5 Likes

I wanted to say thank you all for helping us out with this project. You are all awesome. I will be looking at the chat for things to pick up too!
-Nicole Baird

5 Likes