Next-Gen Mask Challenge

It appears I’m too old to enter, but with all the smart makers we have, maybe some of you younger folks should enter the just-announced Next-Gen Mask Challenge. The X-Prize folks are holding a million dollar challenge to design an innovative, effective face mask. Here’s a synopsis from their website:

Challenge Overview
THE CHALLENGE
Masks are effective in slowing and preventing the spread of COVID-19, but not all of us have adopted this preventive measure. Some masks are ill-fitting, uncomfortable, not breathable, and the most effective masks are often unavailable or expensive.

We need an alternative—face masks that are readily accessible and affordable, functional for our everyday lives, fit a wide variety of wearers, and are effective in protecting the wearer and the community.

THIS GENERATION IS PASSIONATE, CREATIVE, AND DEEPLY ENGAGED. WE DON’T BELIEVE YOU NEED TO WAIT OR GET A PARTICULAR DEGREE TO HAVE AN IDEA THAT CAN DRAMATICALLY CHANGE THE WORLD.

DR. EMILY MUSIL CHURCH

Executive Director, XPRIZE Equity & Education

UNDERSTANDING THE IMPACT OF MASKS

The XPRIZE Next-Gen Mask Challenge will aid in the fight against COVID-19 by enhancing an effective solution: face masks. The next generation of masks will redefine the norm of mask-wearing behavior and help sustain crucial preventive health measures.

HOW TO WIN
The winning team will design a face mask that achieves the filtration efficacy on par with a surgical mask and overcomes the top five barriers to mask-wearing as defined by an XPRIZE-conducted survey.

HOW TO REGISTER
The Next-Gen Mask Challenge teams will be composed of the next generation of innovators ages 15-24 from all around the world. Registering to create or join a team is one of the first steps you can take to help create a better future for all.

1 Like

Dang I’m to old too.

1 Like

Me too