New wood shop equipment question

Hey guys,

Sorry, coming over with another noon question. What is the new elongated table attached to the Makita saw called again? I know it has a certain purpose, and I would like to learn something about it. Can you somehow rip cut with it?

Thanks,

Mike A

1 Like

I’m not sure I know what you’re talking about.

The Mobile stand for the Dewalt Mitersaw? Not able to rip with that for sure.

The Bosch Track saw? you can rip with it (it’s really very versatile) but I ask we only use it to rip sheet goods as wood movement from dimensional lumber may have adverse effects.

I think one of our circular saws may be Makita (?) , and there is a sled/track for it that could be used to rip anything. However, that is not new.

A member may have left something that I’m unaware of. if so I would like to point out that MakeICT is not responsible for tools left at our facility, and if something is being donated it absolutely needs to go through the appropriate area lead or responsible party.

Am I right on any of these fronts? You’ve got me quite curious!

2 Likes

You should NOT make rip cuts with the Miter saw. The mechanism is not robust enough to withstand the demands of a rip cut (the grain causes the blade to slightly wander off course.)

···

On Thu, Nov 17, 2022 at 6:12 AM Michael Arnao via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| MichaelArnao MakeICT Member
November 17 |

• | - |

Hey guys,

Sorry, coming over with another noon question. What is the new elongated table attached to the Makita saw called again? I know it has a certain purpose, and I would like to learn something about it. Can you somehow rip cut with it?

Thanks,

Mike A

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

3 Likes

Next thing you’re going to tell me is that I shouldn’t be slicing off veneers with it. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Let me be absolutely, positively clear here. That was a joke. Don’t even think about it.

2 Likes

Because we all know that you always cut your veneer on it?

1 Like

No, that’s what the big Challenge cutter in Letterpress is for.

2 Likes

I mean… technically he’s cutting sheets of plywood. Really thin plywood…

···

On Thu, Nov 17, 2022, 22:03 David Springs via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| David On vacation
November 18 |

• | - |

No, that’s what the big Challenge cutter in Letterpress is for.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

3 Likes

It’s not plywood until you glue it back together.

2 Likes

Please elaborate Michael, sorry I haven’t been able to come look yet.

Thanks

1 Like

Hey sorry, maybe the saw I’m talking about is a Bosch? I am talking about the saw that sits in place where the Dewault miter saw used to sit. Next to the planer.

2 Likes

@MichaelArnao Thanks for the clarification!

The table is just that, a table, or a bench, or extension wings. The track embedded in the wings is to house stops so that repeated cuts can be made quickly and accurately without measuring each time. The stops themselves are not yet constructed but I have the parts now and will try to make them post haste. In addition I will be adding fences which house additional stops of a type that can be flipped out of the way so that a set measurement can be maintained while other cuts are being made.

The saw is a sliding (or in this case “gliding”) compound miter saw. While the cuts from these saws may be less accurate than one can get from a jigged up table saw, they are a mainstay in making miters and crosscuts (no rips as @doug.wilson mentioned) for a variety of purposes and potentially much quicker and easier than the table saw. These saws are ubiquitous in trim or finish carpentry as well as furniture and cabinetry shops.

I’d be happy to answer any other questions you have or meet up with you and go over the saw’s functions, admittedly it can be somewhat complex to use the advanced features.

1 Like

I thought it was Makita. It’s actually a Bosche saw. Ok, that answers my question, I thought that table might have done other functions as well. I will read up this type of saw, thanks

1 Like