New library open house June 16

I’ve been contacted by the local public library about playing a part in their grand opening on June 16th from 10am-6pm. Any time we can be there would be appreciated. They’d like some “maker demos” or maybe some hands-on activities going on. I know we are busy and all volunteers, but there will be thousands of people through the library that day, it would be huge for us.

They are not even sure what they want, libraries everywhere are trying to have makerspaces, we’d be setting them up on a tragectory. We could bring some maker faire demo booths or the wind tunnel or just answer questions about 3D printers.

Thoughts?

2 Likes

We could make some MakeICT bookmarks that could be decorated. For a hands on activity. My first thought was using the laser cutter, but maybe another medium like Vinyl would be better.

1 Like

I had an incredible bookmark collection when I worked in the library. Partly from returned library books and the rest from books donated to the Friends of the Library. People leave other things in books, but I was not comfortable saving anything that identified the person that left them. Newsprint leaves stains and so does yarn, but people would use candy bar wrappers and worse as bookmarks. I liked it when they used dollar bills, those all went into the till. A ten dollar bill once.

Mike B

1 Like

these are great ideas! so who can come out with me on a few hours on the 16th to make them happen?

I’d like to we can even make bookmarks out of scrap fabric. I have a few of those.

2 Likes

Sounds awesome. They changed plans a bit and don’t need us on opening day but still want to partner in the future, so we’ve got more time to plan now.

1 Like