New Laser Fan (Jet engine) noise issue

The blower on the new fan is very loud. I would be happy to demonstrate it for any takers. It might be better with all of the ducts connected and vented to the outside. I have a few ideas, but nothing that I am ready to build today. I am still working on getting the everything connected. If there is anyone out there that would like to take up the task to enclosing the blower please step forward.

There was an option of putting it in the ceiling to reduce the noise, but that would make cleaning a pain. After having to clean and watching others clean out the fan above our heads I would rather keep it near the ground level. Others had turned it on before I had mounted it to the wall, but I had not. I am not sure it would have changed where I would mount it.

The other option might be to build some partition walls to enclose the sound into a small room, to keep the sound from impacting the rest of the space.

Please let me know if you would like to take on this issue. I welcome any design/build ideas.

Tom

1 Like

Egg crate and burlap both make good noise reducers. In the drapery workroom we built a box with eggcrate on the inside to reduce the sound from the compressor. I can instruct but not sure I have the actual time to build.

Soundproofing advice for small machines from a company that soundproofs whole rooms

1 Like

@LaDeana
@Malissa
Thank you both for your suggestions. I was hoping someone would be willing to take ownership of this issue, since time is an issue for me. Short of that we will try to address it as time allows, and people are subjected to the noise they may feel the need to help reduce it. :slight_smile:

Good news. Tonight I tested the fan with the inlet connected to the outlet so it was cycling air through the fan. It was reduced to a level people can speak over.

I am not so good with with building things. If I were I would have jumped in to help… all I am able to do is lame advice… sigh.
I would love to be a helper for someone who is better at building things than I am… anyone want to jump in (better do it before I volunteer to build stuff… lol)

LaDeana, I did not want to suggest your ideas were not welcome. Web searching takes time. Thank you for the ideas.

Anyone wanting to help can come take a look and listen to it run. Drop me a message tom.bloom@makeict.org

Don’t sweat it Tom. I didn’t. I just wish I were a better builder.