New DOCSIS 3.1 modem

I’ve got high hopes! My tmobile 4G lte data is faster than my cox “high speed” data.

1 Like

I’ve also been struggling with my speeds and decided to get the same modem. I have the 200 plan currently but will try the gigablast.

This was my speed yesterday at 2pm.

My speed after 5pm.

My speed this morning at 9am. #thingsthatmakeyougohmmmm

1 Like

Be sure and check that you aren’t dropping a lot of packets which could indicate a problem with the physical connection to your home which can cause poor performance.

Also, since the connection coming into your neighborhood is shared by many homes, you can expect to see performance vary quite a bit throughout the day.

They can sell you a plan that says it’s up to xx but they certainly don’t have to guarantee you get anywhere near that.

In my personal experience, it can take multiple service calls from different techs to diagnose and fix problems so you just need to be persistent but polite and work with support till it works as expected. Just be prepared in the case that the problem is inside your home or with your equipment. The charges for repairs can get expensive.

1 Like

One day about 2 years ago a cox tech came to my house. There was trouble with internet connections all over the neighborhood and they were detecting some sort of interference or static or something from my house. He asked if he could check the connections on the back of the house, I let him and followed him back there. He fiddled with connections and radioed to some other guy. He eventually asked if I had a loose connection on my modem. I checked and sure enough the cable was barely connected to my modem for whatever reason. I tightened it up and went back outside and he said that was it. Of course I had to verify that my loose connection was the cause of my neighbors losing internet and slow connections, because honestly I couldn’t believe it. He said yes. It had been happening for a while.

So it just goes to show. I mean. I don’t know how this stuff works, but that really happened.

2 Likes

Very similar story here last fall, except it was the connection a story off the ground outside. Probably just jiggled itself loose over the years.

Well that was fast. I got the tmobile gateway/ router today. I just set it up too. Pretty slick setup. Just plug it in, download the app, and set the network name and password. Done.

Here is cox speed (200 plan) right now. This is the fastest cox has been in months.

Here is the tmobile 5g network speed. (Half the price as cox 200). Not amazing but plenty good if it stays this way. :crossed_fingers:

Edit: Woah, here it is this morning. Now I feel like Its kinda getting respectable! :grinning:

2 Likes

Still happy? I’m at 2Mbps both ways right now on AT&T ready to fire them

Yep. It’s has a consistently fast connection, almost no downtime, and a mostly problem free built in wireless router.

Here are all the problems I’ve experienced:

Service went down once for about 3 minutes right after I started with them, but its not happened again since.

My phone was randomly losing speed when connected to wifi. It was dropping to around .5 mb about once a day for a week. I kept restarting my phone when it happened. Then I decided to reset the gateway instead and the problem stopped.

Wireless signal doesn’t reach my basement office. But neither did my nighthawk router. I have a signal extender that works great to remedy this.

I would still give tmobile home internet an overall 9/10 for my use. Especially considering the price!

2 Likes