New casters!

You want to repair a caster? One of the techsew casters cracked to pieces.

I can repair it. It looks like there’s more going on than just a bad wheel though. I’m in Ohio now so when I get back I’ll stop in and have a look at it.

1 Like

No rush! I appreciate it.

David,

Would you be able to teach a class in electro plating? I’d be interested in the process and trying some nickel or chrome plating.

While we don’t stock the chemicals we do have a basin and a 12v battery charger for such a use (also useful in electrolysis removal of rust) take it outside please as noxious gasses tend to harm some of the humans.

Where is the battery charger normally stored in case the mower cries out for help?

Surprisingly I didn’t think about that application.

Currently it’s in the ERP lab it THINK it is in the grey tub under the wooden workbench on the little bench vice side. But I think it needs a more permanent home.

In a pinch though, those car batteries like that are lead acid. So they take a solid 12V. So (in theory) you can take any of the variable supplies, set it for 12V 2Aish and connect ground then pos and it will feed current until its charged.

What you can’t do is hook the mower up to the power supply and crank it. There is an immediate current need that I don’t think the supplies can provide.

I should explain the current trade off.

You can increase the current fed the battery and it may charge faster, but it will heat up. If it heats up too much it will expand and pop. Batteries are filled with battery acid which is generally harmful to humans.

So more current more heat less current longer charge time.

Then there is sulfides. Sometimes you can rejuvenate a lead acid by desulfinaing it.

I had batteries plus charge it overnight - awaiting parts for the damaged spindle, so won’t try to crank it till everything is back together. Thanks James!

1 Like

Those types of things would be great to put into a class. Things that are common sense to some are not to others. How much safety do you want to have. Some like a larger margin than others. Nice weather for outside stuff is here.

If there is interest, a class would be great!

John

1 Like

what types of things? battery charging? or mower maintenance? this thread kind of went off in another direction, I think.

2 Likes

Electro Plating Class. I’m thinking a lot of small projects, over time, so small scale.

2 Likes

If anyone users electrolysis to remove rust I will gladly take your rust water.

Is it used for fabric dye? Just curious.

Yes

steel wool in vinegar makes a great wood stain - wonder how it would be on fabric…

I have some I haven’t experienced with yet. I know others have.