Need some help sourcing steel plate or square tubing

3/8 steel plate, 3.5" x 40 feet
or
3/16 wall 3.5 x 1.5 square tubing x 40 feet

I tried the yard for the plate, only new 4" width was available and wasn’t cheap

Metal Supermarkets quote came back at over $600 for the plate.

I’ve attached some pics of what I’m working with in case anyone has a better idea, 4"x4" (3/8 web and caps) steel beam wasn’t up to the task of replacing the load bearing wall that was removed in the house we moved into about 4 years ago. This is on the ground floor. To make matters worse the floor joists between the 1st and second floors are just butted together on the beam. This might’ve worked if the joists had been scabbed as well but who knows. I’d estimate I’ve removed at least 1-1/2" of bow with the house jacks. Two progressively out of square doors on the second level are almost perfect now. These doors are orthogonal so it’s a pretty good sigh. Several other changes also indicate the movement was in a good direction.

Original plan was to weld 3/8 steel plates in 2-4’ sections between the caps on both sides. Actual spacing between caps is slightly less than 3-1/2" so I’ll have to trim to fit. I’ll gladly use square tubing if it’s the cheaper option.

I’m going back to The Yard tomorrow to look for some tubing. A friend also mentioned AMR steel in ICT. Their website shows they do stock surplus material so fingers crossed that they might have something.

Aaron

2 Likes

Salina steel i believe and they deliver over 250$

1 Like

I can post this on the blacksmith group, they may have some ideas.

3 Likes

I used Central Plains Steel when I built my storm shelter, and they can shear plate steel to order. Also there is Castle Metals in town.

2 Likes

Much appreciated.

1 Like

From the CSMA:
About the steel, check with Tim at Tim’s Welding, he has good prices, and seems to be able to get about anything. He can also do any fab that may be needed.

4 Likes

Metal Supermarket in Wichita

2 Likes

I tried Google but couldn’t find much info on Tim’s welding beyond this:

https://opencorporates.com/companies/us_ks/7795701

Would you happen to know how to contact him?

Aaron

1 Like

Are you talking about Tim Miller in Goddard?

@AaronD if that’s the same guy, Google search Mainz and assoc. The map takes you to the old man’s house but you’ll see the welding and scrap shop just west. I have bought a lot of steel from them over the years. Good price and better than the yard but sometimes it has been sitting for awhile and has some rust. He’ll also order stuff you need if he doesn’t have it. His prices are all based on what he paid, which is fair.

If you need new, clean metal, amr is decently priced, compared to metals supermarket.

If you need something odd like tool steel or just want a small portion that isn’t rusty like the yard, though, metals supermarket does the trick.

2 Likes

Thanks for that info.

I tried AMR last week and they stock 3 and 4" but no 3.5".

Metals Supermarkets does seem like a good option for new quality material and they can do process work to your specs but it all comes at a premium. My money is worth than my time currently. They were very fast at getting back to me with quotes. Customer service is definitely there.

Salina steel has competitive prices but wanted $60/cut to get 2x 20’ sticks into 4’ pieces. ($360 just to cut). My plan was to cut it myself in their parking lot but Tim’s/Mainz was about 10% cheaper than Salina Steel. Tim’s said they can torch cut it for me (didn’t mention a charge) but I need to butt and weld the sections back together so I’ll likely drive my truck to Tim’s and use a portaband to cut 8’ off of each stick to get it all home and then cut it down the rest of the way when I get it back. I prefer to drive my car to Salina for my business there so 4’ are a must if I used them.

Tim answered his land line both times I called him and gave me a quote over the phone. If weight is any indication of price then he get about $.80/pound plus tax. That’s pretty reasonable from what little I know.

Mainz & Associates
16001 W 23rd St S
Goddard, KS 67052
(316) 794-2618

5 Likes