Need help with small metal turning project

I’m looking for someone to radius two car wheel hubs I’m working on: this would involve machining off about 1/4" around the edges. Also, I want the outer bear race surfaces re-sized a tiny bit for different bearing races.

Thanks for any help.

1 Like

Pics would be helpful. Also, bearing bores are pretty tight tolerance. Arguably doable but it’s challenging with the equipment we have and we also don’t have the tools available to verify the precision of the end result. Radii also aren’t the easiest things to do on manual machines, would a 45 degree chamfer work …much easier to cut.

Aaron,

Here is my hub project:

I need this (and its mate) turned down 1/8"or so so I can fit larger, later Camaro model rotors on it to upgrade my car’s brakes. This is a common modification done to earlier Camaros because they came with very small brakes unless they were ordered with the optional larger brakes, which most probably weren’t, that are hard to find used. A chamfer on the edge would be fine, as long as the rotor fits flush on the surface of the hub. This part of the project really doesn’t need to be very precise since the hub center centers the rotor and not the outside of the hub.

As far as the bearing upgrade goes, I used the difference in measurements of the current bearing race outside diameter and the one I want to upgrade to to determine what the new inside diameter needs to be for the new race to fit like the old one. I figure as long as there is a fairly good resistance fit it should be okay because I use sleeving compound when installing races anyway to make sure they are secure and don’t spin with the bearing. That should make up for any thousandths of an inch it’s off (if it is off). At least that is my thinking. I’ve seen this done before so I know it can be done successfully. I really would like to do this bearing upgrade because the standard bearings are very small Vega size bearings and don’t seem adequate to me.

Thank you for considering doing this.

Sincerely,
Greg Schmidt

···

On Thu, Jul 20, 2023 at 2:50 AM Aaron Daney via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| AaronD MakeICT Member
July 20 |

• | - |

Pics would be helpful. Also, bearing bores are pretty tight tolerance. Arguably doable but it’s challenging with the equipment we have and we also don’t have the tools available to verify the precision of the end result. Radii also aren’t the easiest things to do on manual machines, would a 45 degree chamfer work …much easier to cut.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

2 Likes