Need help with an uphostery project

Hello, thanks to a cat that vomits in the most inappropriate locations I have taken on a project of recovering a bench pad with new fabric. I have it back together but really need to get it tighter to get rid of wrinkles but when I do the edges are uneven. Anyone have experience with this sort of thing? Happy to pay for anyone’s time that could help show me how to do this right.
Thanks
Jerry

1 Like

What fabric did you use to recover it, fiber content? Was it stapled or did it have another method for holding the fabric? Did you steam the cushion underneath before recovering it?

2 Likes

I can’t help, but I will say from your picture, you did a great job.

2 Likes

Malissa, the fact that I’m not able to answer any of your questions means I’m in way over my head. I should probably stay in the metal shop. But my cat torpedoed that goal in this case.
I used a fabric from Hobby Lobby and will try to get some info on it. I used a cheap electric stapler which wouldn’t fully embed the staples in the base. I did not steam the cushion prior to recovering it; did not know that was necessary or know what that means really. I did use the same cushion foam that was on it originally because it was clean and didn’t show any residue from the stain. Do I need to steam it even though it is the original? The issue I am having is that it is getting wrinkles in it after sitting on it like the fabric is loose. I pulled it as tight as I could and already have some puckering on the edge where it is not uniformly tight (if that makes sense)

1 Like

Yes it does. Steaming the cushion allows it to fill back out and get a tighter fit. I can re-do it but it will probably be mid-March before I can get to it. I use a pneumatic stapler. I always wanted an air compressor in Textiles to clean the machines and have a stapler for small upholstery projects.

2 Likes

Thanks Malissa. I don’t mind waiting until March if you are freed up then?

Regarding the air compressor, has anyone looked at running a line from one of the other shops to provide compressed air to the Textiles shop? For this project I can bring in my own air compressor if necessary.

2 Likes