My own Cricut SVGs

I made my own SVGs in inkscape to cut my own shapes out of aluminum. I wanted to be able to cut multiple shapes at once and also somewhat duplicate so I can replicate art to make kits to teach from or in the future draw and cut pictures to make into art.

5 Likes

I got some new off-brand Circuit mats from teh Amazon to use with the machine we have in scrapbooking land to cut out some templates for ceramics, etc., I’ll let you know how they work out.

1 Like

I was looking at those, I’m going to go through quite a few mats cutting a lot of aluminum. I’ve seen ways to make them last longer like contact paper. I thought about trying some $1 store vegetable cutting board covers and Super77.

2 Likes

What version of the cricut machine are you using that allows custom designs?

I think all the Cricuts allow custom designs.

2 Likes

They didn’t as of a few years ago when I bought one. They used to then they stopped supporting it but there was third party software that would still work. Newer models I believe they completely locked out the possibility by requiring some proprietary file type. That might have changed but last I knew it was the case.

They do now, but you need a subscription to upload more than X amount of custom designs per month.

2 Likes

I bought my Explore Air 2 last fall when the new ones came out and it allows. You can buy all kinds of designs off Etsy too. I made some ornaments. I know some lady falconers who’ve been making custom decals with raptors for a few years now. Design Space (their proprietary program) lets you upload certain file types. Design Space is free.

2 Likes

I thought Cricut reversed the decision to limit uploads? Six days after they announced making a limit they reversed their decision even for future purchases. (March 12 and 18, 2021)

4 Likes

Oh yay! I hadn’t realized they reversed the decision.

1 Like

I won $200 for an upcycle garment I put in a competition. The maker is on clearance for 229 most places. So I used my winnings to purchase one after doing my research on which one cuts metal. The silhouette and the brother scan and cut do not cut metal.

4 Likes

How thick is the aluminum that you are cutting? Thanks! -Ron

Coke cans about 36-38 gauge. I have a roll of 36 gauge with copper colored side but haven’t tried it yet. There are multiple YouTube videos on cutting it. 5 point stars didn’t do so well, but I think if I use super 77 it might do better.

1 Like

Thanks for the great information! … and quick reply! Your material is much thinner than I would like to cut (0.040"), but this has given me a lot of good ideas,

Do you tape the material down to the cutting surface?

Yes with Painters tape

1 Like