"Mouse" sander broken

I have a detail sander at home that broke some sort of suspension piece. I googled the make/model but haven’t been able to find a replacement part. Before I throw the thing away I thought I’d see if anyone knows where I can find the part? Thanks.

2 Likes

I like this post a lot.

First, it’s not our samder that’s broken!

Second, I like fixing tools.

Third, I like fixing tools.

2 Likes

Dave, what are those? Also, what are the qualities of that part? Mighg be able to turn one outselves in less time than it takes to track one down.

1 Like

Black & Decker MS800. I can’t find any part number for the thing that broke. I’ve wondered about using a short piece of stranded bell wire to replace it?

The part is a semi-rigid plastic about 1.75 inches long. The bottom receives a screw that holds it to the platen.

1 Like

I bet ee could make one from nylon pretty easily.
Worth a shot!

3 Likes

You’ve caught my interest.
I’m trying to stay away from people for another day or two because I’ve had a flu. I could bring the part in on Monday and have you take a look at it if you’ve got time. Reading other posts you’ve made it sounds like you could be pretty busy on Monday.

2 Likes

I’ll be busy, but we can certainly take a look!

1 Like

That’s exactly what I would do. I’m fast I would have done that before looking for a replacement because a replacement would probably have been more money than I’m willing to spend on an inch of plastic

2 Likes

Can something be printed in a 3d printer that would be some what flexible?

In a pinch, probably so. But for longevity a part made from turned monolithic nylon would be better, imo.

2 Likes

Where does someone go to find monolithic nylon?

It’s just nylon in a rod or block vs 3d printed from nylon filament. Subtractive manufacturing vs additive manufacturing.

I generally pick up round bar at the yard.

3 Likes

I’ll check it out. Thanks

Im look8ng in my garage. I know i have nylon bar, PEEK and PE … if i can find it.

You cant print such parts as strong as turned from a bar. [Yet]. Someday.

2 Likes