More instruction needed for laser cutter

I tend to overthink things and confuse myself even more when learning new things. I took the intro class and am a computer idiot. Could someone walk me through a project or let me hang out with you for one of yours? I need help from beginning to end. Aaaaaa! I’m available days and most evenings. TIA!
~Mary Palmer

3 Likes

I am super busy this week and next… but I am sure one of the folks here will pipe up or if not just drop by the space and ask some random person… if they don’t know how… it is likely they know a guy that does. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m kind of the same situation Mary. I took the intro class as well, but would feel more comfortable if I could just watch the process one more time before diving in by myself. If you don’t mind, I’d like to join you if someone is interested in letting us learn from them.
Mike G

2 Likes

Mike, you are welcome to join me. I’ve been playing with Inkscape at home and am understanding a little more. I’m nervous to use the laser cutters until I am totally comfortable with the software and the machines. Hopefully, someone will offer some help.

1 Like

Thanks Ladeana. I’ve been hovering over a couple of folks, but I don’t want to butt into their time on the machines. Hopefully, someone will be willing to help a very green newbie! : )

1 Like

I keep hoping we have something that needs cut for a volunteer project that we need quite a few for so I can get some practice in. I learn by doing something repeatedly. Open Streets is September 22. Can we cut some ornaments to share that day? @kim

Malissa, I would love to help you if you need it. I learn by repetition, too. Ornaments are exactly what I’d love to cut!

1 Like

Ive not used the new laser software but I used rdworks and laserweb. Rdworks is much easier than laserweb and there was a helpful binder next to Luigi that goes through the process. Although I’m not sure it explains what each setting is actually doing. I actually sort of gave up on laserweb a while back. It wasn’t the interface or deeper settings that threw me it was the frustrating connection problems.

You could check the calendar and see who has the laser reserved and send them a message… aaaand I just checked the calendar and no one has it reserved for several weeks.

I’ll see if I can stop by and look at the binder. I’m not kidding when I say I am a computer idiot. LOL @Erik

I’ll be there tonight for the BSA meeting @7. I could probably help you around 630. We could for sure engrave something in 30 minutes.

1 Like

@Erik, that would be great! Thank you so much!! I have been playing on Inkscape and will bring my jumpdrive to see if I made something doable. I’ll be there!!! SO excited!!
Mary

See you then! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Mind if i watch and take notes, I’m in the same boat, took class but did use the machine again and forgot everything sorta

1 Like

@jerome.johnson25 Sure! The more the merrier! ~Mary

1 Like

Sorry to bug you again, @Erik. I guess I’m not on the Google group for reservations. Can you reserve a machine 6-8 tonight? Thank you!
Mary

Thanks 6-630 I’ll be there, with an apple for the teacher lol

1 Like

Done I got you down 6 to 8.

1 Like

I’d recommend using LightBurn over RDWorks. We don’t have a binder made up yet, but the basic process is very similar and it has good tool tips that explain most buttons and settings if you hover your mouse pointer over them. Everyone I’ve talked to has found it easier to use.

Documentation is here: https://github.com/LightBurnSoftware/Documentation/blob/master/README.md

2 Likes

I’ll be out at the space Thursday evening, might work on the binder for lightburn. It has a lot of really good features, I’m glad we’re switching.

@jwithers what software are you teaching in the authorization class these days?

1 Like

@Kim I’ve been teaching lightburn ever since we got it installed.

Also, reminder to anyone that has previously taken my class, if you ever need a refresher, you’re welcome to come audit my intro classes at no cost. My next class is on the 27th. If that doesnt work for your schedule, keep an eye on the calendar for other upcoming classes.

3 Likes