Mission Reminder

The mission of the corporation is to improve the Wichita area by encouraging exploration, innovation, learning, and growth through collaboration, regardless of the medium, by providing safe, low-cost access to tools and knowledge.

10 Likes

The above is in our bylaws.
This one is on the website:

It’s our mission to innovate, learn, and build community at the intersection of art, technology, science, and culture.

3 Likes

I accidentally deleted my post when attempting to edit on my phone, but @ladeana essentially made the point I was going to anyway before my comment even posted.

Anyway, it’s interesting that our bylaws and website don’t align. That should be corrected.

For history, @whyameye coined the “innovate, learn, and build community at the intersection of art, technology, science, and culture” phrasing, and it’s always the one that I have operated under. I think others have as well. The mission as stated in the bylaws was foreign to me until now, or I’ve just forgotten it. That’s embarrassing to admit either way, but I looked at the wiki edit history and it seems it’s always been like that.

I don’t think either one is sacred - maybe this is a good opportunity to update our mission statement so that it truly reflects what we (the collective community of makers here) want this organization to be. We’re like 100x bigger now (like, literally), and it’s been over a decade.

The vision of the founding members helped get us here, but where do we want to go next? Maybe this is it - maybe this is the endgame and we don’t need to change anything… or maybe we’re missing out on some great potential and a redefined mission statement can help better focus our energy.

Food for thought.

10 Likes

If we officially change it, I vote for “…culture, art, technology, and science” as the order so we can use the acronym CATS to remember the order. :wink:

11 Likes

Running a makerspace is like hearding CATS

Running a makerspace is like hearding culture, art, technology, and science.

8 Likes

I think this is definitely worth visiting over the next few months.

3 Likes

Not that there’s anything wrong with cat herders…

4 Likes

Yep. Herding cats for sure :slight_smile:

2 Likes

When can I expect to see the cat herding class on the calendar?

6 Likes

I’ll see if I can get Rustin to add another “How to be a lead” class on the calendar. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Let’s get back to the mission!

2 Likes

This would be appreciated.

2 Likes