Minor membership controversy

Jo, I’ve seen your kids in Adult Situations… I’d be happy to have him in a class.There are a couple of ornament classes and an Open Turning on the calendar. Introductory level.

John

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing your story here, Mike - every bit of it.

I was an incredibly curious kid, but grew up in a home with extremely limited resources. The first time I touched a power tool was as an adult. My involvement in MakeICT from the beginning has always been inspired in part by the idea that we, as a community, can provide things (ideas, knowledge, tools, experiences, etc) that are otherwise unavailable to people. The younger a person is, the more impactful that can be.

The concerns about keeping people safe from harm and the organization safe from liability are valid. I’ve had countless positive experiences with kids in the makerspace, but I’ve also had to go searching the facility to find a parent after seeing their unattended children rummaging through people’s things. Some kids are better than others, as are some parents and people in general. Personally, I think our current policies regarding youth are pretty sound, but there may be room for improvement with adherence / reporting / enforcement of the guest policies.

If any changes (policy, cultural, etc) are made to help ensure the safety of youth in the makerspace, I hope it’s carefully balanced to ensure that those changes also make our org even more inviting and supportive of our local youth. The world needs more excellent makers :slight_smile:

9 Likes

May be off topic slightly, but if a bring an adult guest and I am just popping in quick to run somthing on the laser cutter or cut a couple boards in the woodshop, can a “non-member” adult sit in the lounge and look at their phone, eat a snack, or whatever while I am working (less than 30 minutes) as oppossed to them sitting in my car or standing in the woodshop while I run boards on the table saw?

4 Likes

According to the other thread on minors…

“…the membership committee. They feel that “direct supervision” is being misinterpreted. It’s like they say in orientation: “you need to be with your guests (physically in the room with) at all times unless they are going to the restroom…””

2 Likes