Minor issues with Craftsman lathe

I went to use the Craftsman lathe today and as soon as I flipped the power switch there was a horrible squealing. I eventually figured out that the key on the motor pulley and the set screw that retain it were both missing. I found the key on the ground and reinstalled it, but I wasn’t able to find the screw. It works for now, but we should really get another set screw before it falls out again. I would’ve run to the hardware store and grabbed one already, but they’re closed today.

Also, unrelatedly, the chuck key is worn out and doesn’t really fit the chuck anymore. I had to improvise with the shank of a tool bit and a crescent wrench to get it tightened. Should probably find/make a new one, or mill new flats on the current one.

4 Likes

Actually, correction, the chuck key seems like it might still fit the three jaw chuck okay. The screws in the four jaw chuck are slightly looser and it doesn’t quite fit those.

4 Likes

Update: the belt kept slipping off the pulley because it was sliding on the motor shaft. I looked around one more time and realized that the set screws on the tool holders were the same thread as the pulley, so I borrowed one of those. The pulley is “fixed” now, but we probably still want to get a new screw so we can return that one back to the tool holder it came from.

4 Likes

Or put the replacement set screw in the tool holder.

2 Likes

Thanks for taking care of the lathe. I’ll see if I can figure out what kind of thread is on those set screws and see about getting a master index with those and other set screws to help with other pieces of equipment.

3 Likes

If there’s enough depth, it’s a good idea to put a second set screw on that key to keep the first one from backing off.

1 Like