Miller 211 mig not feeding

The feed on the little Miller mig welder stopped working last night. Was able to finish the last inch of bead with the big boy.

I’ll try to take a look at it this evening. It might have been that the tank was getting low too.

The wire feed shouldn’t be affected by tank pressure. Otherwise fc would never feed.

Was the motor spinning?

Is it out of wire? Is the tip bad? Are the drive rollers engaged?

It’s had the usual charged/energized hum going on.
My experience was thus:
Welded 98% of a project, then yhe trigger was completely unresponsive, no movement, no noise, plenty of wire on the spool, nothing visually suspect. Wiggled the shroud and lead coming into the machine with no effect and rapid trigger pulls with zero response as well.
Fished the last few inces of bead with the bigger mig.

The switch on the handle is a common failure point. I usually keep 1 extra on hand in our shop. They are not that expensive.

1 Like

I did take a look at the 211 last night.

My suspicion is the same that the switch is faulty. If I get a longer moment this evening, I’ll check the connector with a volt meter or try plugging in the switch from the 212. A new switch isn’t all that expensive compared to a new torch handle, so I’m hoping that’s all it takes to fix it.

Also… I noticed someone turned up the pressure to the maximum on the tank… There shouldn’t be a reason to go past 20psi while mig welding.

1 Like

Uh, CFH?

1 Like

Cfh/psi… Waiting for the coffee to kick in.

I’ve never had a miller lead fail. It is ALWAYS the switch. Not sure why they won’t redesign the switch, but it is always the switch… The only time you turn up the flow on the shielding gas is when you are working in the wind. It should be in the 15-20 window to keep the stinger from overheating and the weld properly shielded from the harmful effects of oxygen. It does not improve the weld to increase the flow of the shielding gas when not spray welding. Side note: The welders at MakeICT should not ever be set to a spray welding setting, they are not big enough to handle that abuse.

1 Like

The little one still has something wrong with it. I noticed it at 25 cfh the other night. Turned it down to 15 and ran a bead and horrible porosity. I can’t find a leak though. Switched regulator and same so I’m not sure what’s going on. I generally have mine at 12-15 cfh at home.

1 Like

Yeah… Found the issue with the 211…

Took a light persuasion tool to the spade connector and seems to be running fine now.

2 Likes