Metal shop smell

There is a really strong burned plastic odor in the metal shop. I’m not sure where its coming from or it’s even a concern, but I thought I’d post about it.

Could you look carefully and smell to see if it is coming from an outlet next to the Tormach, or the air compressor, or possibly from ceramics (kiln running)?

Mike B

Also could you have a look at the grinding wheels by the Welders…
Last week I found someone had attempted to sand 3d printer filament on the grinding wheel,
I have a meeting tonight so I will not be able to make it to the space until after 10. if anyone discovers the nature of the smell please let me know.

I happened by and John pointed out the smell to me. To me, it just smelled like someone cut a piece of iron or steel on the chop saw. I did carefully check all of the potential areas I could think of, such as outlets, switches, and equipment, as well as ceramics and wood shops, but didn’t find anything out of the ordinary. I suppose we could check the video from this morning, but I honestly think it was just hot metal and hot grinding wheel grit. Folks don’t use that saw too often, so the smell can seem out of place, and I could see how it would smell a lot like burned plastic of some sort. In any case, I appreciate that John cared enough to investigate and ask me to check it as well, and we should be on the alert in case we missed something and I’m dead wrong. Thanks, John!

3 Likes