Membership Committee Minutes (Dec 29th)

I’m VERY late in posting these, but I hope this helps to be more transparent about what’s happening at the membership committee meetings. I’ll be better about posting these to the right Google drive, but this should serve in the mean time.

Membership Committee Meeting: December 29th, 2020.
• Maker Monday norms outlined to include a 20-30 minute overview of MakeICT, followed by a 20-25 minute tour. Those interested in joining were encouraged to apply for membership at the Maker Monday event.

• We outlined the ideal that even hosts are ultimately responsible for making sure that attendees are properly checked in (including a check for waiver, payment, I.D., and proper P.P.E.).

• We coined a new phrase for the “round-table” interview. It will now be referred to as the “KEY INTERVIEW” to help it sound less “culty”.

• Doug was asked to encourage other area leads to consider keeping “office hours”, make authorizations clear, host/promote non-formal events ie “demonstrations” or Q and A events.

Membership Access; keyed vs non-keyed members.
The question has been asked what to do about members who don’t qualify for keyed access. Should their badge do SOMETHING? Should they even be considered members? Should they be considered guests.
It was decided that members who have not yet earned their key are still expected to be considered guests. In other words, a badge alone does not guarantee free reign of the building. If the member is not keyed, their badge should do NOTHING. Until they are keyed members, they are still to be considered as GUESTS ONLY. It is critical that current members understand and respect that policy. GUESTS should expect to only be allowed in the building during formal events, where supervision can be guaranteed. This still grants them access and discounts to all classes, but does not let them use the space unsupervised. This lets us provide our members with peace of mind in knowing that they should never have to be responsible or alone with someone who’s not been entrusted with a key, while at the same time, giving grace to those members slow to earn their key, as it doesn’t entirely inhibit their ability to use the space while they work to achieve their key.

*the policy was somewhat agreed upon by the membership committee, but is expected to formalize that policy on the January 5th board meeting.