Masonite

There used to be full sheets of masonite in the FabLab that were available to use. Did the source dry-up or do we just need to arrange volunteers to help pick it up? I understand it wasn’t actually free but extremely cheap. Is there need for donations to get more?

1 Like

It was from Spirit. Maybe @rustin.atkeisson can let us know if it’s still available.

2 Likes

I’ll have to see if my contact is still at Spirit. It’s hit or miss and the panels tend to sit outside…

I’ll give him a shout tomorrow and see about getting 20 or 25 sheets.

3 Likes

Thanks, @rustin.atkeisson

1 Like

Yep. @rustin.atkeisson and I talked about it yesterday. If it doesn’t look like there is a good option from Spirit now, perhaps a fund raiser to purchase some would be a good alternative.

2 Likes

Yeah, the problem is sometimes he has some & sometimes he doesn’t. Eventually if they have too much sitting around, they mulch it & sell that (I believe). So we have to catch them when they have enough they’re willing to sell, but before they chop it up.
It’s also stored outside most of the time, so if the weather goes bad unexpectedly, it could get ruined in the rain/snow. If they’re expecting weather, they move it inside.

Anyway, I’ve got a fair amount at my place that I cut down to 4x4 sheets. Unfortunately, I’m recovering from knee surgery & can’t currently drive. I could likely bring “several” (4-6) sheets down to the makerspace this weekend, if that will suffice?

3 Likes

This weekend is great. Let me know if I can help get it inside - don’t take a chance hurting the knee.

2 Likes

Sorry for not replying sooner on this…

I did pick up 20 sheets from Spirit’s investment recovery.

They’re currently 25 cents for a 4x8 sheet.

This might be a waste of materials, but could someone make a 4ft tall MakeICT logo stencil? It’d be fun to throw the logo and MakeICT text over the painted sheetrocked areas in the metalshop.

5 Likes

Can I help get the sheets moved inside this evening?

Thanks for picking it up!

2 Likes

The sheets are already inside thanks to Wes and Lancaster, but Steve may need help moving them to a different spot.

···

On Thu, Nov 17, 2022, 12:15 PM Dave Miller via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| xrunner MakeICT Member
November 17 |

• | - |

Can I help get the sheets moved inside this evening?

Thanks for picking it up!

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

4 Likes

Actually, it would be nice to have stencils in a variety of sizes. I’d love to see some projects with “Made at MakeICT” stenciled on the back/bottom.

5 Likes

I’d love to see some projects with “Made at MakeICT” stenciled on the back/bottom

In 4ft high letters lol

···

On Thu, Nov 17, 2022, 13:38 David Springs via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| David Letterpress Lead / Security Lead
November 17 |

• | - |

rustin.atkeisson:

This might be a waste of materials, but could someone make a 4ft tall MakeICT logo stencil? It’d be fun to throw the logo and MakeICT text over the painted sheetrocked areas in the metalshop.

Actually, it would be nice to have stencils in a variety of sizes. I’d love to see some projects with “Made at MakeICT” stenciled on the back/bottom.

In Reply To

| rustin.atkeisson MakeICT President & Metal Committee Lead
November 17 |

• | - |

Sorry for not replying sooner on this… I did pick up 20 sheets from Spirit’s investment recovery. They’re currently 25 cents for a 4x8 sheet. This might be a waste of materials, but could someone make a 4ft tall MakeICT logo stencil? It’d be fun to throw the logo and MakeICT text over the painte…

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

3 Likes

Awesome man! Thanks for everything you do at the makerspace! It’s people like you that make it great.

5 Likes

Hey, thanks @rustin.atkeisson. Do I assume correctly that the stack in room 2 is what you are talking about?

What we need to do is use the table saw to cut them into approximately thirds so they fit in the laser cutter.

If anyone wants to help with that, please do.

3 Likes

Most likely that is the material in room 2. I took off to work as soon as my truck bed was emptied.

2 Likes

I’m hoping to get in there tomorrow morning to cut them down. It would be much easier with two folks doing it. Any offers?

2 Likes

Thanks to @rustin.atkeisson for purchasing the masonite and @ssaner for helping me cut the sheets into 3rds! All the “new” material is stacked behind the scrap-bin and is available for public use.

FYI: @squarenuts The track saw was great for cutting the masonite! With just four cuts the job was done and with the yellow vacuum hooked up to the discharge port we were able to keep most of that nasty dust contained!

3 Likes

What’s the suggested donation per sheet?

1 Like

We really haven’t asked for donations on the masonite because is nearly free (25 cents per 4x8 sheet). That said, if you want to donate, feel free to do so.

4 Likes