Masonite!

But employees can get there with a normal pass? Or better to get there from inside & then figure out how to pick-up after purchasing? I’ve got some projects that would benefit from having “some”.

I’m not sure what the best way to get in is. I would assume that if you called ahead of time that the gate guard would let you in. You do have to go a bit of a ways onto Spirit grounds to get to the investment recovery building.

2 Likes

Did anyone have luck getting in to purchase/pick up MDF board. I would like to snag some if possible.

How many sheets do you need?

There are still some half sheets sitting in the woodshop that are up for grabs.

Also, the investment recovery group closes at 2pm.

1 Like

I’m needing a min of 6 4x8 sheets. Would you have a contact #? Can anyone get in Gate 17?

1 Like

I was advised not to have multiple people attempting to pursue this. It tends to make the surplus group a little cranky. I have a 3/4 ton truck and I am willing to pick up a truck load if it’s available. Someone told me there was not much available due to decreased rates of airplane build rates. We should have only one person working the issue to keep everyone happy.

4 Likes

Rustin, any idea what their inventory looked like when you were in? Ie Did you pick up their last 15 sheets?

Well… The official word is that the only way to purchase items is through the monthly bid process on their web page…

https://surplussales.spiritaero.com/index.htm

My normal contact is out of office until Oct 4th… I’ll have to contact him then to find out what the deal is.

4 Likes

If you don’t mind, please check in with your contact. I didn’t see any MDF listed in their bid offerings.

Thanks!

I agree completely, but in order for that to work, we likely need to “informally” designate someone to be that focal then. Since I work at Spirit, I was trying to avoid forcing someone else to do my legwork for me, but I’ll certainly let them! :slight_smile:

That being said, @rustin.atkeisson did you ever hear back from your source? I’m going to be cutting several 4x8 sheets of masonite for Christmas presents. I’m not above buying at Menards if I have to, but I’d rather have the cheap stuff.

Also, are you willing to be the “go to guy” on this?

1 Like

Right now, it takes me maybe 2 minutes to drive over to where they stash the Masonite.

They’re not sure what condition the Masonite is of what they have left, but I’ll see if I can grab 10 to 15 sheets tomorrow on two conditions:

1. You guys figure out a place to store the material
  2. You guys help unload the sheets
1 Like

I’m willing to help but, I’m out of town til next week. There is space under the window in Fab Lab.

Let me know when/where. I’ll dm you my contact info, since I don’t check in here nearly often enough.

1 Like

No worries dude, I just have notifications constantly pop up on my cellphone from Gmail…

Probably close to 4pm tomorrow if they have any in decent shape…

They’ve been stored outside, so if they’ve been rained on, it may be a pile of mush.

2 Likes

There are now 20 sheets of Masonite 4ft x 8ft sitting in fablab for members to use however they need.

Big thanks to Ian for helping to load and unload material!

7 Likes