Mario Control Replacement

The replacement controller for Mario has arrived, and I think we’ve got everything necessary to install it. It is identical to the one in Luigi, so it will make it a lot easier to switch between the two machines. I’m not sure when this will get installed, but probably within the next month since we’ve been having a bunch of problems with the current system. This will mean that LaserWeb will no longer be available. I don’t think too many people will be upset about this. If you haven’t already tried out LightBurn I would suggest giving it a shot. As far as I know everyone who has used it so far has preferred it over any other software we have used. RDWorks will still be available for the foreseeable future but it is no longer being taught in the intro class.

I’ll probably send out an email to all current members who have laser cutter authorization to try to make sure everyone knows what is happening.

3 Likes

I’m planning on installing the new controller sometime between the 15th and 23rd. Anybody interested in being there to help out, learn more about how the machine works, etc.?

2 Likes

I would like to help out, learn more, etc.

And my schedule is relatively open those nine days.

Mike B

I’d like to be involved if possible. My availability inside of that time
frame is mostly 16th through 21st.

Thanks for asking.

1 Like

I’d like to help.

1 Like

So the new controller has or has morning been installed?

How does Wednesday the 19th sound?

1 Like

I am good with Wednesday the 19th.

Name a time?

Mike B

Let’s do 6:00.

6pm Wed works for me too.

is there a free Version of lightburn that we can down load to our home computer ?
other that the 30 day trial period. that I’m finding.

Can I still come and help/learn more about the machine when you guys install the new controller?

There is not a free version, but we do have a discount code for our members to purchase a single seat license for $20. The standard price is $80 for a 2-seat license, so it’s a pretty good discount. In general our preference is to use free software when possible, but sometimes you just have to pay for good stuff. We currently only have it installed on the laser computers, but we’ll hopefully be adding it to the laptops in the near future.

1 Like

Sure thing. The more the merrier.

1 Like

I can completely understand.
I would like to get the code. : )

I sent you a PM with the code.

If anyone else needs it just let me know. We want to make sure that it doesn’t get shared publicly.

1 Like

Thanks to everyone that came to help yesterday. The new controller and updated card reader are installed and working. We haven’t tested it extensively yet, but we ran a few cuts and engraves and everything looks good so far. We didn’t get a chance to hook up the rotary, so I’m planning to check that out tonight.

1 Like

Got. I will direct everyone to you :white_check_mark:

<{{{{><

1 Like

Update on the rotary: I got it hooked up and tried it out last week. For the most part everything worked, but scaling setting for the rotary axis didn’t seem to work properly and we couldn’t get the scale right. I have a few more things to try out and I’ll probably give it a shot on Luigi as well, but for now the rotary is not ready for use.

1 Like