Malissa's maker post

I’ve had individual posted projects but I thought I would follow the trend.

RiverFest has a Plein Air Competition I’ve participated all 3 years. This year we had a Quick Paint on the Festival Grounds which I missed. The second Quick Paint was at Central Riverside Park near the Kansas Wildlife Exhibit.

Eye of the Solstice Central Riverside Park 7"x7"
Canvas, silk, aluminum can

Enter the Rainbow Botanical Children’s Area 6"x6"
Canvas, clear plastic, sharpie

Douglas Street Bridge 4"x6"
This was last minute 3 thread colors and 45 minutes

Paint the Town Chainlink Gallery place
WIP silk thread, will be adding aluminum cans

6 Likes

Nice!! I hadn’t seen the bridge one before. Maybe you could do a gallery showing in room 4.

5 Likes

I have a galley show at Art house 310 in September, so maybe sometime after that.

6 Likes

I spent the last month in summer school at 2 different USD259 Elementary Schools. One school had a Summer Camp lesson plans that we followed. The other school left everything up to me and had sewing machines.

The first 2 weeks we did lanterns and Kaleidoscopes. I didn’t get pictures of the kaleidoscopes they arrived late and we were having souch fun making them we lost track of time. The lanterns turned out really well. I plan on teaching both at the makerspace.

The next week we made crazy stitch bags Which I teach in Know Your Sewing Machine. Know Your Sewing Machine - MakeICT Wiki

7 Likes

Malissa you give so much to so many organizations, i envy your stamina.

4 Likes

Awesome work!

4 Likes

My other project just took an extra month. The fabric shrank more than I could allow on 164" cushion cover. I end up taking it completely apart and putting it back together with a medium weight interfacing in the seams. The zipper had to be completed replaced. Shrink was over 3 " the first time on the second build I got it down to 1/2". The tables in classroom 3 were about 2 inches longer than the cushion.

6 Likes

Today’s art
Carwash 12" x 12"
based on several pictures I’ve taken since 2019 while sitting in the drive-thru carwash.

Black chambray, muslin, cheesecloth, silk threads, acrylic, watercolor and alcohol ink dyed fabric, layered and stitched

3 Likes

OMG Malissa you have so much on the go, where do you find the energy?

1 Like

I make a point to do 15 minutes of art every day I don’t sleep more than 5 hours at night and I take at least an hour nap. Plus my day job is only part-time.

4 Likes

That’s pretty cool @Malissa . It’s easy to imagine being in a car wash and seeing that, but it’s also just interesting visually.

2 Likes

I can’t duplicate my art and a 6"x6" piece can take over an hour or more. I wanted to start making some lower price point so I came up with Thank you art cards. Each card is a work of art within itself. The artwork usually starts out as a full sheet of watercolor paper and is cut in to 2.5" squares. They are blank inside. After doing market research I’ve priced them $10 each or 3 for $25.

I have decided to challenge myself soon to make 100 cards in a single day.

6 Likes

I hadn’t dug the cement barrier for my flower bed in my yard in 8 years. So it was overdue. Tobias helped. 2 bags of mulch added after. My resin dragon is 20 years old this year. I made the the swing cushion about 5-6 years ago.

3 Likes

Just got information this morning that the following picture is in the running for the cover of a new upcycled magazine. This is how they posted it on Facebook not sure if this will be the final image or not. I’ve been working on this dress since 2019. There’s 55 threads and about 14 hours of work in the bodice. The skirt was stitched over 16 hours at Botanica when I was their artist in residence in May-July 2021. I didn’t stitch on it in 22 but 23 isn’t over yet.

4 Likes

Awesome! I always love seeing it evolve.

2 Likes

I’ve been playing with permanent markers on white felt then using alcohol to transfer it to watercolor paper. It was fun but not what I expected. I might experiment more and try adding pressure with different instruments to get shapes. We’ll see.

3 Likes

Your talent knows no bounds! I love getting a peek at your plein air stitched pieces.

2 Likes

50+ piece of art and 100 Thank you Art Greeting cards.

I’ve got to make 13 pieces of art, frame 7 additional, and make 60 cards by tomorrow at 6 PM.

2 Likes

I took my time today but completed 44 cards I have a total of 86. 14 more to go. 13 pieces of art and 7 to frame. I know I’ll get it done.

I think this was my favorite today

5 Likes

I recently wrote 2 proclamations for the Mulvane Old Settlers Days 150th Anniversary. Sedgwick County and the State of Kansas has recognized Saturday August 26th as Mulvane Old Settlers Day.

I hate paying for Cricut’s design software so I used Canva to design vinyl cutouts for the window I created for the Mulvane News for MOS. I learned that you must check the transparent background block to get Canvas designs to work on Cricut otherwise it becomes a grey box. All the pictures are modified from the collection of the Museum.
I learned that in the 50s Fox Searchlight in collaboration with the Orpheum made a reel at the MOS parade and I’m trying to get that footage for the next Doc Sunback Film Festival any suggestions on how to get that would be appreciated. I’ve already reached out to my contacts at the Orpheum.

3 Likes