Making ceramic tiles?

Hi, does anyone have experience making sets of ceramic tiles (/coasters/decor)? I curious about both the process and the amount of work vs the potential profit (after practice of course). I believe there’s a slab roller already in the ceramics area, and that that would be suited to this sort of thing?

1 Like

We do have a slab roller which is very helpful when making tiles. There are several factors to consider when making tiles, not least of which is that clay shrinks when it’s fired, so if you are attempting to reach a certain finished size you may struggle. Tiles also tend to warp a good deal as they dry and when they are fired unless they are handled very carefully while they are being made and dried with proper ventilation. Also, the type of clay used can impact your success rate. A clay that has more ‘grog’ to it tends to not warp so much.

If you want to know more or have more questions, today is Ceramics Tuesday, which is our orientation to the studio. We’ll be here from 7-9 if you want to stop in.

2 Likes

I’ll see if I can make it to the next Ceramics night. Thank you.

2 Likes