MakeICT Sign

Made a MakeICT sign to use at Comic-Con.
Version 1.0

If you can imagine it, you can draw it… if you can draw it, you can make it!

Artwork
@KatieOfConrad sketched up the most adorable area robots and gears. She made a newer version with even more 'bots and fancier, but unfortunately, I didn’t have time to incorporate them. I’m so glad I got to work with her on this project and look forward to the possibility of collaborating with her in the future.

Materials
The sign is made out of laser-cut masonite hardboard and spraypainted before assembling with hot glue. The MakeICT logo and speech bubble were cut, painted, then assembled like a jigsaw puzzle so that they have a flat finish. Thanks to @kim for sharing her previous work using this technique.

Next time I make a sign like this, I will allot much more time for allowing the paint to dry. Having not done so led to so many blemishes.

Inkscape Layout
Layout and conversion from the original sketches were done in Inkscape. Thanks again to @kim for her excellent Inkscape class that I took 2 years ago in 2/2020… opened a lot of doors for me!

MakeICT Bots
I’d like to see more of these Area Bots around the space! They’d make good mascots. I can imagine them on area signs outside each door, on t-shirts, and as little achievement and recognition awards for a contribution to an area or a project.

Version 2

• Of course, we’re going bigger.
  • MOAR BOTS!
  • Next time I’ll let the paint dry!
  • Also, gotta seal the masonite so prone to smudges.
  • Hanging hooks and/or stand for those times when a wall isn’t available.
9 Likes

This looks pretty professional! Awesome.

2 Likes

Area bot stickers to represent area authorization. Area bots painted on area door so new makers can follow the bots to familiarize them with the space.

I’m down for this whole design. Well done.

2 Likes

Provided @KatieOfConrad is OK with us using them, I’m hoping to keep their use versatile in nature and ubiquitous in presence. Is there an icon that symbolizes authorization, beyond perhaps a gold star, that can be put on their chest that could denote authorization?

EDIT: Or do you mean on badges?! That’d be cool!

2 Likes

Yes, but the bots still keep it playful!

1 Like

I wanna design the electronics one…

I had a robot mascot in mind sorta…

1 Like

I meant as a sticker for the back of badges. Sort of like how hazardous woods has a leaf, we could have a bot for areas. Like a woodworker bot, metalwork bot, gem bot, ceramic bot, textile bot, electro-bot(?), book bot, you get the picture. Maybe even work all the individual bots in such a way that as you get them all they interlock into a megazord maker bot.

1 Like

This turned out awesome! It makes me happy to see it put together and painted.

1 Like

I would totally be okay with people using them. I could also make some more if people are interested in that. Or re-do the designs to work better as separate images.

I love this so much! Awesome sign, the robots are fantastic!

1 Like

This is amazing! Excellent work and thank you so much for writing it up and sharing it here. We don’t do enough documenting of projects and I’m thankful for the extra work you did. Mega Kudos!

Love the idea of area mascots for branding.

This could be a great way to turn some hideous corporate room signage for the building which is outrageously expensive ($50 each ish) into something custom and amazing (baring some research into printing braille).

2 Likes

Do you not like the braille label on the belt sander? :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Forgot about that thread. Did you 3D print that?

1 Like

Yes I printed it

1 Like

Great work on the design! As already mentioned, it looks great! Adding my thumbs-up on additional signage ideas.

2 Likes

If the next version is larger, it probably should be made out of foam core… masonite hardboard gets heavy pretty quickly when scaling.

1 Like

we have the cnc foam cutter…

If ever you see me say “larger”, it’s safe to assume I’m meaning HUUUUUGE… like, 4’x8’ sheets or bigger. :slight_smile: I’m 6’4 with a Napoleon Complex. :smiley:

We have the shopbot

2 Likes

I love working with the stuff to make it durable and have some left over from building the float. Should we build one and enter the Riverfest Parade? $1000 first place prize.The year’s theme is: 50 YEARS AT THE FEST!

1 Like