MakeICT Sign and Monument

Consider the purpose of the sign and what message is needed to convey.

At minimal, MakeICT Makerspace.

Average Joe might see MakeICT, assume some type of startup manufacturer, or whatever. Not give it a second thought.

Some form of editable message and announcement section, would be beneficial. Digital or Manual.

Being budget conscious is going to be of course a prime factor.

5 Likes

A foundation would need to be poured. Rebar etc. The monument would be anchored to the foundation. Any electrical would also pass through the foundation. Lighted sign at minimum.

2 Likes

Im not opposed to altering the Logo so that Makerspace could be located under MakeICT, thus preserving the head location inside the wrench.

Altering the arrangement of the logo is not something I have approval to do though.

The cost of these materials and familiarity with manufacture of most of this isnā€™t something i have a ton of experience with.

Preventing toppling of the monument/sign has several very straightforward engineering solutions.

Itā€™s not really any more difficult than any common single pole sign or a street light pole. (Or any free standing basketball goal, which is the most recent thing I created a concrete base for).

The buried base thatā€™s not visible but is necessary might potentially be more weight than the above ground, visible monument but is a simple concrete pier, just to mention one possible solution.

[Edit added after seeing more replies:] Running electrical supply through a concrete block is generally discouraged, usually youā€™re better of running buried conduit to, then up along the side of a base rather than burdening future repairs with the likelihood of having to cut into the base to replace a break in the conduit or wires.

2 Likes

Have we got a budget and should we set up a Request for Proposals with a transparent process of how weā€™re going to determine what we will finally create? Letā€™s do this right.

At one point I know a local artists and MakeICT member, Hugo, had talked to me about building a camera obscura on the property. It would be great to have something thatā€™s more than just a sign.

This is one thatā€™s at WSU that he created

1 Like

This will sound pretty challenging, but just give it some thought.

At orientation, I saw a problem that could be used to solve two problems.

The Boiler is taking up needed real estate and MakeICT needs an iconic sign structure.

I know we can figure a way to dismantle the Boiler, get it out of the lower level, then repurpose or reassmble it for the sign.

It would be a major undertakig.

And before you poopoo the thought. Go down and look it over. Itā€™s got a real steampunk look.

4 Likes

Neat idea, and while many here are good at repurposing stuff, that might not be the vision we, as a whole, want to project. That will be the real challenge in anything that isnā€™t just a sign - coming up with something that speaks to the side variety of things that makeict is too each member and prospective member.

1 Like

Obviously I cannot speak for the vision of every member of MakeICT, Iā€™m glad Iā€™ve met their spokeman.

What is the Vision of the ā€œWholeā€?

I would like to meet them too.

When does that commitee get together? :sunglasses:

2 Likes

so where are we at on this?

1 Like

We had a call for designs and there was a minimal response. We havenā€™t forgotten it though. Dean Day has proposed some ideas to Rustin. I canā€™t recallā€¦ do we have a group that is looking into this that is not the board?

1 Like

Was this formal? When was the deadline? What was the spending limit? Expected finish size? Installation timeline? Artists need parameters and guidelines to know if a proposal is worth their time and effort. A forum post is not that.

2 Likes

Put it in the newsletter? I think more people probably read that than the forums. Have some mild guidelines with it?

1 Like

There has been a lot going on lately, so this kind of fell in the cracks.

How does getting a group together in person Sun March 5th at 7pm to discuss the sign?

1 Like

Copied from where I replied to the wrong thread. I will be in Philly then, sorry.

I never found time to put it in CAD, but my thought for a sign was the robot head with all the stuff above it as individual boxes of metal suspended above it, then a more traditional sign, maybe like those mentioned earlier, mounted on top. My only concern, and maybe it shouldnā€™t be, is that it would be pretty easy to climb on it. But it would look cool.

2 Likes

This is what Iā€™m imagining as well but was thinking sheet metal flat pieces cut on the plasma cutter welded to metal poles and have the logo 3-sided on a triangle that you canā€™t climb and is boxed. The base would be made so itā€™s a triangle but high enough that we could one day add LED screens.

2 Likes

The meeting has been added to the calendar for 7pm Saturday in classroom 3.

2 Likes

has any further discussion been made on this?

1 Like

The National Endowment for the Arts has funding in July that @Fundraising will be looking into. I think the current focus is the roof and the $40,000 we need to raise to cover that.

2 Likes