MakeICT Holiday Ornament Challenge

Hey Makers!

We have an exciting challenge to get you in the holiday spirit and help support the arts in Wichita at the same time:

MakeICT’s holiday ornament challenge!

• Create at least 10 holiday ornaments to donate to MakeICT
  • They should be identical, or at least darn similar in style
  • You determine the price for your ornaments

They will be put up for sale at the Harvester Arts Holiday Market that will be open for three dates (Final Friday in November, Saturday December 1st and December 8). MakeICT receives half the proceeds for the ornaments we sell, and Harvester Arts receives the other half. Harvester Arts provides a thoughtful platform for visual arts experimentation that engages the community through critical dialog and the creation of new work.

Whoever’s ornaments earn the most money at the market wins a $50 gift card to MakeICT. In the event of a tie, it’s whoever sells out first.

If you make/donate/sell more than 10 ornaments that’s awesome, but to keep it fair we’ll just be totaling up the revenue/time for your first 10.

Ornaments must be turned in by the Sunday after Thanksgiving - November 25 at 5PM. Please have them all together in a bag with a paper containing:

• Your Name
  • Contact info
  • Price per ornament

Feel free to post your photos here as you start the challenge so everyone else is inspired to get involved!

3 Likes

Just wanted to mention, I’m not saying you should flag everything up or make your ornament Wichita themed, but just in case you are, I made a very precise Wichita Flag SVG file and added it to our wiki a while back for projects just like this. It’s a nice vector file with no unnecessary nodes. Here it is:
http://makeict.org/wiki/File:Wichitaflag.svg

Happy ornament making!

1 Like

Above is a picture of some of the ornaments I am working on.

Which do you like better? Tree or Angel?

What do you think a reasonable price would be for each?

2 Likes

3 Likes

I’d think $5 for the angel and $7.50 for the trees each, based on past experience with this market. I hope to work on my ornaments this weekend.

So I can’t decide between an angel ornament or a Christmas pickle. (to be honest, leaning more towards the Christmas pickle, but I don’t know how well that would go over.)

1 Like

Here is a free stl for a Rick and Morty Christmas pickle

2 Likes

I know what you mean. I can’t decide what to make either balls, snowflakes, or something else. Whatever it is it will be made from textile related objects or pasta.

Oooo. I almost made some with the bow tie pasta. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Tiny treasure boxes! Still working on the string.

5 Likes

Those are so cute!

The Christmas pickle so far. Thinking about adding a bow or a Santa hat to it. (Possibly tiny pom poms as well to get the bumps, but that would be if I have time.)

5 Likes

hope everyone is busy this weekend… don’t forget to drop off your ornaments by Sunday at 5pm!

1 Like

And the pickles are all done! Now to just drop them off. Talk about cutting it down the wire XD

3 Likes

Hey guys! I took our ornaments to harvesters tonight, they love them!

Friday is the first day of the sale. I heard from a few people who were scrambling to get to our deadline… yes we can add things late, I just need to know about it, and I will ask that you tag/price your own stuff. There’s some tags in the box on the desk.

Invite all your friends to this awesome crafty sale! Here’s the event:
https://www.facebook.com/events/375776369631777/

1 Like

Did we happen to get any pictures to share on social media? I guess I could pull from above.

Here are pix I took of my stuff.

2 Likes

Here are my iced sugar cookie ceramic snowmen.

1 Like

All very cool.

Hey Makers - thanks so much for supporting this challenge! We made $380, split between Harvester Arts and MakeICT.

The top seller and challenge winner was @Nicole with her pickles! Congratulations Nicole! Let me know if you want a physical gift card for a friend or just credit your next two months dues!

I put up the ornaments in our showroom for display. We started a buy two get one free sale the last day that I will keep up. Buy some ornaments to help MakeICT - just grab what you want and put money in a drop box envelope, labeled with what you’re buying, or PayPal treasurer@makeict.org

1 Like