MakeICT Ceramics Department Update

Hi EVERYONE.
I thought I would update our community on the happenings in and around the Ceramics Department.

The last 5 months as the department lead have been an incredible education and opportunity to say the least.

I have had the opportunity to authorize 57 new members and visitors into the department,
Our meetings are well attended by not only potters but members of other areas.

We have some Gnomes made and ready for your garden needs so if anyone needs one or more please hit me up.
Garden friends if you need anything for your plots, reach out and we can get you fixed up with plant signs or maybe plaques with your names on them for a little more pizazz which could be fun!

Glass fusing discussions are picking up so I am super excited to go head into the jewelry department and get some collaboration going on there as well.

There is discussion of a Makerfair event coming up in August and it could be a great opportunity for the departments to come up with some collaborations to show case there.

And speaking of Collaborations, we have a new art piece in ceramics more than 20 members worked on side by side with folks from the Fab Lab and Woodshop so please feel free to stop in and check it out.
Lastly don’t forget we have TWO YES 2 A/C units in there so when you all need a break from the steam heat of the upcoming summer days, come in and hang out with us!
Everyone is always welcome and we are happy to see you.

Thanks to all at MAKEICT for giving me the opportunity to lead the department and make this a sought out engaging space where we can all be creative and safe.

See you all soon😊

20 Likes

Now that the hard work in our home garden is done i am looking for decorations.
Please tell me more about the gnomes

3 Likes

Im interested in some gnome details as well!

3 Likes

I am a new member and have been so welcomed into the ceramics department. I really feel like I have met life-long friends there. Thank you and the whole department for being so welcoming!! And to anyone who is at all interested in ceramics, pop in sometime! I think the sense of community comes from how busy the department is, and how positive and welcoming Gaye (and everyone else) is!

5 Likes

I have been a member for a year and it’s amazing how much has been accomplished in the ceramics room in that time. It really feels like a family has been made, and new members are joining in all the time, I am a person that usually keeps to myself but with how open and collaborative the ceramics area is I feel myself changing and wanting to participate in more and more. I have made some many amazing friends at make because of this welcoming and positive area, people coming into ceramics from all areas can feel it and can’t help but come in and join in on the fun. I only joined to do my work in ceramics but have made friends in many areas and have found interest in other areas because of these amazing inspiring people that find themselves hanging out in ceramics and that’s what it’s all about! Creating a collaborative positive community where we can inspire each other and in my case get out of my routine and comfort zone and try something new! Gaye and the ceramics area are the perfect example of this :two_hearts:

5 Likes

THE GNOMES!!
So we have maybe 20-30 Gnomes already poured and bisque fired. A few different poses available.
I can bring them to the Ceramics meeting tonight at 7:00 and pick which ever ones you want.

Or…. If you want to slip cast some you are welcome to do that as well.! We have been having some fun painting them .
Come on down and grab some :blush:

I have put in a pic of some we have painted with acrylic paints and then a polyurethane finish on top for weather.
It’s been FUN!!

8 Likes