Make a few of these?

Maybe up the build a few notches, compare notes, that sort of thing

1 Like

So, the campfire wasn’t big enough? :joy:

1 Like

Actually, I’d want to cut 1/3 of the barrel off.

Be careful. BATF might read this and get the wrong idea.

2 Likes

It wasn’t me!

I would make some changes but there is this

https://youtu.be/EJPKSZhzJJc

@james.a.seymour
Well, these are different beast entirely…

I posted the burn barrel because it was cheap, easy, fun to look at, and demonstrated a two stage burn with heated fresh air.

What you’ve posted is more akin to a rocket stove. I would love to start experimenting with rocket mass heaters. The goal being to eventually use one to heat my shop with scrap wood.

All of these projects seem worth toying with.

Too many things wrong with that video to list them all.

Regular concrete is likely to explode in this application.

Complete misunderstanding of wire reinforcement, such that the wire shown weakens the concrete and probably creates differential thermal expansion.

No vibration of concrete is certain to leave voids. Voids are even more likely to explode than properly vibrated concrete.

Etc.

3 Likes

@mikeb Exploding things is so fun though!

Some years ago I lived outside the city and inherited a burn barrel and burn permit. I similarly, but more crudely modified the barrel to get more complete burning and greatly reduced smoke.

The basic principles are quite simple. Increase convective air flow by having air intake at the bottom sufficient for combustion. Chimney effect.

Create a high surface area heated metal screen on top to utilize catalytic effect. Hail screen, two layers, distorted somewhat to not sit completely flat on each other works great, but burns up gradually. (Never got around to trying thicker expanded perforated steel.)

Loading of material(s) to be burned in such a way as to not restrict air flow, including preventing slumping when halfway through the burn.

1 Like