Looking for some scraps

Hello, looking to find some scrap walnut or dark wood like it, preferably 6 to 8 inches square. Is there anything like that in the free scraps? or does anyone know where I can find something like this?

Thanks

1 Like

Have you thought of places that have a lot of construction going on? There is a lot of wood scraps. If you asked, they might let you help yourself to some. Long time ago I use to ask construction job sites if I could get scraps. I was able to get a hold of some pretty useful items.

2 Likes

i would suggest cabinetry shops or maybe seeing if you could get logs and mill them down. as far as i know the only place in town that might have walnut would be star lumber at west and maple. otherwise you should ck amazon for dimensional pieces.

Richard’s Wood Shop in Kechi carries a lot of different woods. I don’t know about prices.

2 Likes

Well if we aren’t just suggesting places to find scraps, Menards has some hard woods, including walnut

6" cubes of walnut are not going to be easy to come by. If star or menards had that size hanging around I’d attempt a backflip from sheer amazement. Local mills might have it, but don’t usually cut such large sizes unless requested custom in quantity in advance and even then it would probably run in excess of $50 a linear foot. Our free pickings don’t hold on to walnut for much time and I’m fairly certain do not contain anything like what you’ve described, and doubtful any walnut at all presently. Smaller pieces could be laminated to good effect, but would most likely have to be secured elsewhere unless we have some very generous members with extra walnut lying around.

Sorry I don’t have better news for you.

Happy making!

3 Likes

I have a friend that has a lot of cut up tree wood thats sat around for a few years. He doesn’t want it. It’s free if any one wants to come get it. He lives 2 blocks South of Mt. Vernon before Oliver. Across from that big frisbee golf course. He would be more than happy if someone wanted to get all that chopped wood. If interested let me know, he is close to maker space.

3 Likes

Any idea what kind of wood it is? Are we talking for making stuff, or just for firewood?

It is cut up as fire wood, if I had to guess I’d say elm. There’s about a cord of wood free for the taking

1 Like

Can’t you make stuff out of regular round tree wood. It’s wood. Sheldon uses all types of wood, maybe he might be interested, John Cody might be interested in the wood for fire wood for this winter. I have a truck. I don’t mind helping with transporting the wood in my truck but I wont help load and unload it.

2 Likes

ive got lots of scraps as it is. ive milled down some very wet oak recently and its packed in sawdust. i have pallets that need broken down. There used to be a class about pallet identification that the great Doug Wilson taught, i went to the inaugural class. Lots of good oak, sycamore and sometimes cherry can be had from pallets. Your best bets are to see if Aaron Rivers is teaching a milling class so you can learn to mill down logs and pallet wood to something usable. I can tell you of an excellent pallet scraps dumpster not to far from make thats yielded me some good stuff. There’s always someone giving away tree bits on Facebook market place and the next door app. Id see if there are any custom cabinet makers here in town that you could see if they have any scraps. the most they could do is tell you to get lost.

3 Likes