Looking for help with a Lego event for Youth Horizons

My name is Tim Rorabaugh and I work for Youth Horizons, your neighbor on Douglas, as a mentor coach. I am putting together a Lego event, Feb 16 2019, that is geared towards STEM learning. I have been getting other Douglas Design District businesses on board a sponsors helping with the cost of the event. I am hoping to get you, MakeICT, on board as well. One of the stations is going to be a “Build the Fastest Car on the Block” station. Kids will build cars, then race them down a track that will time them, then have the chance to modify the car to re-race down the track hoping to make improvements on their time. I don’t have a track. I have ideas, could build it myself, but would rather invite you to be a part of this event. If you are interested, please contact me at 316-841-9411 or tim@youthhorizons.net.

In addition, I am looking for Lego and Duplo donations. If you have either of these not in use and would like to donate them towards this event you can drop them off at Youth Horizons, 1601 E Douglas Ave. For any donation, we will give you a gift in kind recent.

With any questions please get in touch. I would love to share more about what we are doing.

Thanks!
Tim

2 Likes

Ok people. I know it is Christmas time and everyone is busy, but how can we not say YES to this?

• It’s LEGO! (Remember how many people said that we cannot ditch the LEGO table?)
  • It’s a Douglas neighbor! (All you folks that say we must be on Douglas should be answering the call for that reason alone!)
  • It’s kids. (We love volunteering here and especially want the kids to get into making… and what better way than LEGO!)

Did some of you call and not say something here? I am not much of a builder and I have a problem finishing projects :slight_smile: so I am probably not the right person to wrangle this… but I could be a pretty good helper… so if you were thinking about this but are afraid you would have to do it all yourself… you won’t.

(And really we should have a bunch of people falling all over themselves volunteering … but I am sure it is hard to get time to keep up with the forum during this season… )

2 Likes

I have spoken with him and he is really excited about doing this project and getting us involved in with it. I can help too, though my building experience with legos is mostly houses and not race tracks. Doesn’t mean I can’t join in on the fun that this project will bring.

(If it just trying to organize a meet up time/central focal point, I will be more than happy to help out with that too. Just shoot me an email so I can get an idea of who is interested and how to schedule things and such.)

1 Like

Let me bring this topic back up now we have hit the new year…