Looking for guidance on a project

Hi all!

I am a new member interested in building a sleeping platform for the back of my car for car camping.

I have taken the woodshop authorization but don’t have much woodworking experience beyond that.

This would basically just be a flat board that comes level with the trunk of my car, and then some kind of support inside the car to make it perpendicular. The idea is my legs would be in the trunk and head where the back seats are.

My schedule is pretty flexible, so I could work whenever someone is available.

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Welcome! Does the back seat fold down or have you removed it? Do you intend for this to be removable when not being used? Or will it be more or less permanent? Does it need to fold up for storage if you do make it removable?

1 Like

I removed the back seat because there was not enough space vertically with the seat just folded down.

It would more or less be permanent. There isn’t a ton of space underneath where the platform would go for storage anyway… the only consideration as far as making it foldable is that the fuel pump is on the floor in the back on the driver’s side. But I think it might be possible to have the platfom on just one side with the fuel pump being on the other.

1 Like

I would hope that you aren’t having to replace the fuel pump on such a regular basis that this is affected by it. You can always take the platform back out just like you would the seat.

Sounds like it should be a pretty simple project. Oh course, you could make it less simple but it doesn’t have to be.

You’re probably right. There’s probably a way to make it both stable and removable when necessary.

I am just looking for someone to help me out with it, as I don’t have the experience to really even know how to get started.

1 Like

I would like to help but I travel for work and am on the road the next couple weeks. Feel free to bump ideas off of us here though. I think there are plenty of people who can assist but it’s hard to coordinate sometimes since not everybody spends time on the forum.