Looking for a welder

We have a chrome coated steel vintage chair that needs to be re-welded. Is there anyone in this group that is able to help?

TIA,
Megan Fogarty

1 Like

I’m not going to be much help here but if I understand correctly; You have a chrome plated chair that needs to be welded to repair a joint. I assume the base material is just mild steel. You won’t need a TIG welder to do this work. MIG will do the mild steel just fine. TIG could be a benefit just because you may be able minimize the amount of lost chrome. Care will have to be taken during the welding process to vent the gases produced by burning through the chrome plating as it is toxic. The chrome in the area of the weld will be lost and you will have to retreat that area to regain corrosion protection but it won’t match the surrounding chrome any longer. There are some finish products out there that simulate chrome appearance but I don’t have any experience with them myself. And I’m not authorized to use the welding machines yet so I can’t help much at all at this point; sorry. But you might change the title of your post to just ask for someone to help with some welding as that group is likely larger than those that can do TIG. Good luck.

2 Likes

Thank you for your response. A friend of mine who does welding recommended the TIG welding to keep the aesthetic of the chair. I am no expert on any kind of welding whatsoever. It is a chrome plated steel, so yes it would likely need to be retreated to look like the rest of the chrome. Again, I appreciate your feedback.

1 Like

I can do the repair depending on when you need it done. I do remove the plating in the area of the weeks prior to welding which is good practice with Abby kind of coating or plating to prevent noxious gases as well as contamination of the weld. Often the change in metallurgy is undesired. I’ll send you a message.

It’s not an emergency but I would like to get it off my “list”.