Logan's EPIC Magic Wheelchair Halloween!

I thought it might’ve a fun way to get the ops involved. My grandad was a sherif. I am pretty sure he could has ask for your license and it would have been scary.

I was just looking at the fine ceramics coming out of the kiln. If we end up doing a policeman, perhaps we could give Logan a coffee mug, so he can do coffee and doughnuts!

2 Likes

The first thing that crossed my mind was either Barney Fife, Sheriff Andy Taylor, or the folks from Reno 911.

1 Like

I like the idea… but we would have to get permission to use them.

I guess those were examples of what not to use :slight_smile:

If he wants to be a police officer we could invite the police department to the unveil. He’d probably like that.

Oh yeah, we’re already planning to have him made an honorary officer, badge and all. Unless he decides to be a fireman. Then we’ll do the same with the fire department.

I was contacted just now by Logan’s grandmother. It seems both she and her husband have the stomach flu, so my visit to get measurements and find out Logan’s choice of theme has been postponed until Thursday. It shouldn’t change our schedule at all…we’ll just have to wait two more days to find out exactly what we’re going to build :sunglasses:

1 Like

I take it that we aren’t going to have the wheel chair on hand for the project?

I would expect he would need the chair. Do make sure and get good measurements of it and perhaps the make and model. Maybe we could rent or get a similar one on loan. Also take oodles of pictures of it.

I’m sure he’ll need it. However, there’s a lot of information on dealing with that in the Builder Tech Manual.

I forgot, I’m going to need measurements or garments for the grandmother and the opear as well.

My summary of the manual was “Take measurements, and make it easy for the guardians to take on and off”. It did not give many gems of wisdom on how to do that.

Please take lots of pictures of the chair, and if you can put a tape measure in for scale it would help.

The Colwich PD has extra uniform shirts and some lights they’re willing to donate to the cause.

2 Likes

Outstanding! Can you PM me (@David) or send an email to david@makeict.org so I can get with you or them about that? Thanks!

Awesome!!!

1 Like

I will, including something for accurate scale. I’m also taking along a micrometer to make sure I have the exact tube diameters.

What time is the build session on Sunday?

The calendar says 6:00 pm.

Okay…I’ve traveled to Oklahoma to visit with Logan and his grandparents – he’s an awesome kid! He has decided that he wants to be a Fireman for Halloween.

I’d like to take a little time to explain why this is so important. When Magic Wheelchair was a fledgling charity, they arranged for someone in the area to lead a team to build a Magic Wheelchair for Logan. They didn’t know what they know now, and didn’t monitor the progress of the build. When the week of Halloween came about, it became apparent that the “Build Team” was one guy who hadn’t even started the project. On Halloween night, he presented (late) a cardboard box that sort of went over Logan’s wheelchair. Imagine the disappointment!

This year, he’s getting an EPIC Magic Wheelchair!

3 Likes