Logan lathe down

3 phase, never mind.

Let me dig in my motor pile. I know I have several 3 phase in the 1-10hp range and quite a few single phase motors. I’ll post back tomorrow after I look at my pile…

Jeff Eck

1 Like

Does anyone know the shaft size?

I found this in a listing for a Leeson 120043, but I’m not much of a motor guy:

Shaft Diameter: 0.875 in
Shaft Extension: 2.25 in

That’s what I mean though. Lots of cheap 3ph motors. You’d have to work to kill most of those.

I think shaft size is of relatively little importance. We ought to be able to put a pulley on whatever, even if we have to turn a new pulley. Might be a good lesson for somebody who hasn’t made one before. The bigger concern is real estate. The pecker head on that Westinghouse, for example, was pretty big and stuck out a ways. It might be tough to fit anything with an external hear sink in the compartment. I didn’t take any measurements though.

well…

calling around, it doesn’t sound like the cheapest option to rebuild the motor, but I am planning on taking it into B&B Electric to have them dig through the windings. It’s $60 to have them spend 1/2hr to dig through the motor… but if it is a bad winding and not just that the bubble gum has melted off, then we will most likely still need to replace the motor. They should be able to get us an answer sometime this week.

I gave a Rotek a call as well… $360 just to do the inspection and it would be a while before they could get to it. They seemed pretty helpful, but it definitely seemed like they played more with the really big motors.

So the good news/good news/bad news time.

Goodnews: the motor is perfectly fine.

Other goodnews: B&B didn’t charge us for checking the motor and are fans of MakeICT and are ham radio fans.

The bad news: if it’s not the motor, the contactor, or the plug, then we may need to get someone out to check the wiring between the plug and circuit breaker.

1 Like

Do you have voltage at the plug?

What kind of load is it supposed to handle?

With Christian’s help:

There was 220 at the wall and at the motor. The motor does spin more than 1100rpm, even when the spindle was bogged down…

Turns out there’s this weird big honkin’ ring on the back of the Logan that If you push towards the machine will engage the spindle to the belt drive… Once that was engaged, we were able to get full torque and 2100rpm out of the head.

Thanks Christian for your epic trouble shooting powers!

…so the lockout ragout is off of the Logan now. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hot diggity durn dog

Christian FTW!

1 Like

If I recall correctly, that’s how it’s switched between high and low gears. Having it engaged with the other piece engaged actually locks up the gearbox. Don’t ask me what the other piece is that needs to be disengaged, I’ve forgotten and I’d have to look at it again before I could say.

Yeah, looks that has to be disengaged to use the back gear.

NEVER ENGAGE BACK GEARS WHILE LATHE IS IN OPERATION OR WHEN SPINDLE IS IN MOTION

When slower turning speed, or greater power than could be obtained from a direct drive is required, the back gears are used. To engage the back gear drive first pull back or disengage back gear handwheel at back of spindle. This enables pulley and pinion gear to turn free on spindle. Then engage the back gears by pulling shifter lever forward so that the power is transmitted through the pulley and pinion gear to the large back gear, and from the small back gear to the bull gear. The bull gear, being keyed to the lathe spindle, turns it.

1 Like