Logan lathe chuck stuck?

I can not remove the chuck on the Logan lathe. I might be doing it wrong, but I was just wondering, is it stuck?

Stuck? Like the locking nut? Or the taper?

I am not sure what locking nut you are referring to. I believe it may be the taper, however I am still inexperienced on the lathe, so i can’t say for sure. Also, I noticed the power output was significantly lower on the lathe this time. Do you know if a power limit has been put on the lathe, or could I be doing something wrong? Because the lathe was actually stopping from not having enough power while turning.

Or i think the 4 jaw chuck might be too heavy for the lathe, causing it to stop up?

The chuck is off of the lathe now. Sorry about the comment about the nut. I was mistaking the powermatic with an old Clausing that uses an L00 spindle.

Do you know what might have been causing the spindle/lathe to stop up while I was turning?

Did you or someone change the speed with the machine not running? The pulleys in the drive unit must be in motion when the speed wheel is changed. Reeves drives are very sensitive and practically lock up when the speed is changed without motion. Reeves drives will fail rather quickly if this is done too often. In my own lathe after rebuilding the reeves drive correctly with the help of a real machinist, my reeves drive stays at the same speed all the time as it is too easy to jam mine up…. That or a failed bearing are the ONLY things I can think of that could cause what you are dealing with, unless it was somehow locked into the high and low speed at the same time. I’ve never seen it as it is mechanically not possible on my lathe or I am sure I would have done it when I was self teaching on lathe operations.

Basic theory of the reeves drive is 2 standard pulleys, one on the motor and one on the input shaft of the head unit. In the middle is a weird pulley that has a floating center that makes the one pulley two. That floating center moves side to side as the speed is changed. Making the center pulley 2 adjustable pulleys in one.

···

Sent: Wednesday, October 12, 2022 6:30 AM
To: jeff@makeict.org
Subject: [MakeICT] [Metalshop] Logan lathe chuck stuck?

|

MichaelArnao MakeICT Member
October 12

|

• | - |

Do you know what might have been causing the spindle/lathe to stop up while I was turning?

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

|

whateg01
October 10

|

• | - |

The chuck is off of the lathe now. Sorry about the comment about the nut. I was mistaking the powermatic with an old Clausing that uses an L00 spindle.

Previous Replies

|

whateg01
October 10

|

• | - |

|

October 10

|

• | - |

Or i think the 4 jaw chuck might be too heavy for the lathe, causing it to stop up?

|

October 10

|

• | - |

I am not sure what locking nut you are referring to. I believe it may be the taper, however I am still inexperienced on the lathe, so i can’t say for sure. Also, I noticed the power output was significantly lower on the lathe this time. Do you know if a power limit has been put on the lathe, or could I be doing something wrong? Because the lathe was actually stopping from not having enough power while turning.

|

whateg01
October 9

|

• | - |

Stuck? Like the locking nut? Or the taper?

|

October 9

|

• | - |

I can not remove the chuck on the Logan lathe. I might be doing it wrong, but I was just wondering, is it stuck?

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

1 Like

I did not change the speed without the machine running. I made sure to always have it running while adjusting speeds. I do not understand this drive system. I hope this is fixable and if I can assist in fixing it, I will do my best.

Did it stop while making a cut? People have had issues in the past because part of the collet changing mechanism (or something along those lines) wasn’t properly engaged. The lathe would spin, but would stop under load because the mechanism would slip. I never use that machine so I don’t remember exactly, but I think it was on the back side of the spindle.

1 Like

I didn’t try to turn anything on it, as I was distracted by the idiot who left the mess in the hot shop and the plasma cutter torch on the floor with the plasma cutter still on. It sounds like it was just under powered, since he wouldn’t have been using a collet with the 3-jaw still on the machine. I will try to make it back over there today and have a look at it.

I don’t think it was something specific to the collets, I just don’t know what any of those parts are called. I think the issue also occurred with the chuck on it last time.

1 Like

This sounds like it could have been a possibility. I do not know how to properly engage using the chuck.

I’m not sure what you mean by that, but did you not take @rustin.atkeisson lathe class?

Was the back gear lever sticking out still after the chuck was changed from the collet to the big 3 jaw chuck?

With the back gear lever out and the crown on the left of the machine still engaged, that will lock of the Logan. If the intent is to run at normal speed, just lift and push the lever back in, but if you want the low speed and high torque of the back gear, pull out the crown.

I believe it was engaged then. And yes I did take the class, but I am used to using the collet system without a chuck.

Ok, I thought you were talking about using it with the chuck since it was still on the machine when I stopped by.

Was the collet spinning but not the work? Did the whole machine bog down and stall?

No, the chuck was on. I was trying to use it. But the machine was bogging down and stopping from lack of power while cutting.

Also, it felt like the speed was slower than normal. It was going faster than low/back gear, but it was not going as fast as normally. Is it possible that the Reeves drive has some gunk in it? I would open and try to fix it.

@Christian don’t feel bad. I worked in three different machine shops over 45 years before I retired and i never always knew the name of every part of a lathe, mill, etc. There are so many parts it’s hard to remember them all.

1 Like