Lidded box class

@doug.wilson Your class for making the small lidded box was fun and informative. Thanks again for teaching it.
I went ahead today and did some more work on the box I made by chamfering the bottom edge with a 30 degree angle and sanded it really well. I cleaned up the bottom of the lid where we routed it because it was pretty rough in that area.
I forgot to ask you last night, what would be your recommendation for an oil to finish the box after it’s sanded? I thought of tung oil or mineral oil but wanted your opinion, or your preference for a good type of oil to use.

10 Likes

Thanks for the kind words! Both of those oils would work fine. Any oil will work nicely on these little boxes. Tung oil is great for outdoor furniture. Mineral oil is good for food contact. Danish oil is my personal favorite, as it cures pretty quickly and leaves a satisfying velvety finish.

I hope that helps!

···

On Tue, May 2, 2023 at 10:20 PM Dan Schalk via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| DanS MakeICT Member
May 3 |

• | - |

@doug.wilson Your class for making the small lidded box was fun and informative. Thanks again for teaching it.
I went ahead today and did some more work on the box I made by chamfering the bottom edge with a 30 degree angle and sanded it really well. I cleaned up the bottom of the lid where we routed it because it was pretty rough in that area.
I forgot to ask you last night, what would be your recommendation for an oil to finish the box after it’s sanded? I thought of tung oil or mineral oil but wanted your opinion, or your preference for a good type of oil to use.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

3 Likes

Thank you Doug. Yes, that does help a lot. I actually have some Danish oil but I haven’t used it yet so wasn’t sure how well it would work. I’ll give that a try.
Now I’m really looking forward to your sliding lid box at the end of the month. :smiley:

2 Likes

Here’s the finished box with the Danish oil. It’s a padauk box with a cherry lid.

7 Likes

Nice work, Dan! And thanks to Doug for doing the class!

4 Likes

Thank you Jesse. It was great to have you as part of the class too.

1 Like