Let's revisit the mandatory mask policy

Presumably so, but I’m not sure – I was napping for that part, apparently.

1 Like

I’ve created an anonymous poll, Discourse allows 1 vote per user. The poll will close on Thursday at 7 PM.

Keep Mask
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

For those who don’t have access to the Eagle or have hit the paywall limit, some insight into the county commission meeting yesterday if you weren’t watching to bring the discussion local in advance of this evenings board meeting:

‘We’ll see what people listen to’: Minns, Sedgwick County clash over mask advice

BY DION LEFLER

MAY 19, 2021 04:24 PM

Despite opposition from their chief health officer, Sedgwick County commissioners Wednesday abandoned their recommendation that businesses and local governments encourage masks and social distancing to fight the COVID-19 pandemic.

Commissioners held on to the part of the county’s most recent COVID order, which encourages people to get vaccinations.

But they deleted the recommendations for masks and social distancing, replacing it with a statement saying the county “encourages businesses and organizations to determine, in their best judgment, whether to require individuals to wear masks or other face coverings and/or to social distance from one another.”

Dr. Garold Minns, county health officer and dean of the University of Kansas School of Medicine in Wichita, advised the commissioners to keep the rule in place until everyone has an opportunity to be vaccinated.

“We’re still having about 200 to 300 known cases per week in Sedgwick County,” he said. “We still have patients in the ICUs. We still have patients on ventilators. We still have patients dying of COVID.

“It’s not near as many as it was in November, thank goodness, largely due to the fact that people have been wearing masks and the vaccine has helped.”

Although there have been some “breakthrough cases” among the vaccinated, those have been mild and nobody in Sedgwick County has died from COVID after getting their shots, Minns said.

The new language was proposed by Commission Chairman Pete Meitzner and passed on a 4-1 vote, with Commissioner Jim Howell opposed. Howell dissented because he didn’t want the county to have any COVID orders on record anymore, even ones that are purely advisory.

Meitzner said he proposed the language he did because he thinks recent recommendations by the Centers for Disease Control are “kind of in conflict and confusing with the medical community somewhat.”

“Businesses, they’re in a trying time to determine what they want to do,” he said. “And I want to respect the businesses.”

He said he opted to keep the part of the order recommending vaccination because if the county repealed its advisory order entirely, “There could be an assumption that the Sedgwick County Board of Health thinks this is all over with and I don’t feel that way.”

Minns said there’s been a widespread misunderstanding of the recent health advisories by CDC, which say that only people who are fully vaccinated could go maskless in public with minimal risk to themselves and others.

Minns said only 30 to 40% of Wichita-area residents meet that standard and the unvaccinated are still at risk.

He took the commission’s repeal of his advice philosophically.

“Well, I verbally said I strongly recommend it, so I’m on record to the public that that’s my opinion,” he said. “I don’t think that taking it off a piece of paper necessarily means people are more likely” not to wear masks and social distance.

“I had an opportunity to at least express my opinion that it’s still a very important thing,” Minns said. “So we’ll see what people listen to.”

Howell favored eliminating all official county health recommendations on COVID and verbally fenced with Minns during a 40-minute discussion leading up to the vote.

Howell’s primary contention was that the county’s recommendation — which replaced an earlier mask mandate and binding restrictions on public gatherings — still carried weight with businesses and smaller governments.

“If you look at Wichita and the city of Derby and other cities around the county, a lot of these places are actually referencing the county resolution,” he said. “They reference that county document as justification for a local order . . . The point of this potential repeal today is just to remove Sedgwick County from the argument.”

Minns told the commission it’s too early to remove the county from the argument and reminded commissioners that he’s the health officer and “I’m speaking to you as the board of health.”

“At least 50% or greater of our community is not immune to this virus, either through natural infection or vaccination,” Minns said. “We’re working on getting that (vaccination) number higher, but the number of people taking appointments has decreased.”

Howell pressed Minns on what he thinks would be a proper threshold for the county to stop recommending masks.

Minns replied that he would foresee that coming when everyone who wants the vaccine has access to it, including children.

Minns said the county is just getting started vaccinating 12- to 15-year-olds, who were ineligible for vaccination until about a week ago. Younger children remain ineligible while the vaccine is tested for effectiveness, although it’s already been found safe for them, he said.

And while children are at low risk of dying from COVID, physicians are seeing substantial long-term effects from infections in children and adults, he said.

One complication is a higher rate of diabetes in COVID survivors, which is not clearly understood, he said. And “now we’re seeing other organs that are having chronic effects, including mental effects.”

But Howell countered that he thinks education and personal responsibility would be as effective as a county recommendation.

“I do recommend the vaccine, let’s be clear,” he said. “I think for somebody who’s not been vaccinated they should be personally responsible to mitigate these risks because they’re educated on these risks.”

Read more here: https://www.kansas.com/news/politics-government/article251537518.html

5 Likes

The first seven words speak volumes.

2 Likes

Am I misreading that it says “encourage” masks and distancing, not require?

Currently, Sedgwick County KS 30% fully vaccinated. But 40% of 18+ yrs old.

Source:

About 450-600 active cases verified by testing currently. Unknown how many cases with insufficient symptoms to get tested.

ICUs at local hospitals still running at 96% to 98% occupied.

Source:

2 Likes

More interesting statistics:

One more pertinent article, just published, explaining effectiveness of masks and reconciling previous studies that had indicated very different efficacies.

Bottom line, where viral load is very high, masks have limited effect, but where viral load is moderate or low, masks can be very effective.

The board and members present at the meeting this evening had a long and thoughtful discussion about this issue and the board voted to continue our current policy requiring masks inside the building. The board will reevaluate this decision at the next board meeting, and at each board meeting going forward, so we can be certain we are providing the best guidance to our membership and are proactive in adapting as the local situation continues to change.

3 Likes

On a personal note, I am grateful to everyone here in the forum, and at the board meeting this evening for the civil discussion we’ve all had on this tough issue. We’re all sick and tired of everything that’s happened to us over the past year and a half and we’re ready for life to get back to normal. I think we’re in the homestretch, and I’m optimistic we’re almost there, and we’ll make it there together.

4 Likes

(I have watched too much county government. :slight_smile: This is my take on what went on with the masks at the county level.)

The county had a require in place on masks until the legislature made them liable to answer to lawsuits within 72 hours for anyone or business that objected to the requirement. At that point, they changed it to “strongly suggest” which was due to expire in June.
Because of the CDC change, they removed the mask suggestion and left it up to the organizations/businesses.

2 Likes

So, we’ve come to some semiformal decision on how to move forward regarding masks.

How about discontinuing the limits on (masked) persons in the building and rooms so that we can have Maker Mondays that don’t need to be RSVP’d for???

Every obstacle to becoming a member that we can do away with will help us recruit members!

1 Like

Can we vote on who we’d like to continue to wear a mask after the pandemic is long gone? My apologies if you are hideously ugly and feel I was targeting you :mask:

4 Likes

I just wear a mask that looks like me so your outta luck

1 Like

Let me know when personal responsibility comes back in style… I am all for protecting the vulnerable. I don’t want anyone to get sick with even a sniffle, BUT the vaccine is available to anyone who wants it. If you are vulnerable and have not been vaccinated, it is your responsibility to take care of you. If it is effective, as all media tells me it is, and nearly everywhere I go I see masks are suggested but a personal choice; why are we trying to get all the nails in the coffin of MakeICT before we are bankrupt?

I believe we are pushing potential members and long time members away with the RSVP, mask requirement, room limits, etc. I cannot remember the last time I was at a MakeICT event. We shut down when the virus came to town and a very small group moved all of our toys and dismantled the old place. I would of helped had I known it was going to happen, but it seemed everyone went quiet or I didn’t know where the discussions were happening. Time has passed and I have been out to do a couple small jobs for Rustin to help out, but the community we were building either evaporated or I was left in the dust. I am not pointing fingers or making any accusations, I really have no idea what is going on anymore in regards to MakeICT.

Please understand, I do care about people, I don’t want any harm to come to anyone, not even those who despise me, but when did we decide as a people that risk cannot be managed by the individual and that the powers that be must rule to protect the scared? If the vaccine works, which I think it does, and it is available to anyone who wants it, who is being protected by a mask requirement, RSVP’s, room limits?

When this all started in China, I was one of the first people saying this needed to be monitored. I asked my mother to stop going to town and let me get her groceries and I made sure I was the one getting the gas in her car to limit her exposure. As time has passed we have seen sanity go out the window. 15 days to flatten the curve is in its 15th MONTH. Risk is a part of life. We cannot remove ALL risk from life without removing any reason to be alive. People are generally a social animal that needs others to strive. But yet we are so isolated I wonder if the cure might be worse than the disease. Thankfully I have not lost anyone I know to suicide yet, but the numbers on that front are very sad, very sad to look at. I am more likely to die in a car accident, dog attack, or be Epsteined than catch the virus and die.

5 Likes

Jeff
I share many of your thoughts on personal responsibility.

As a board we are somewhere in the middle. It was a long meeting and after discussing $$ issues there was not much fight left in anyone. So we did kick the can one more meeting.

We are dammed either way we go. It would have been easier if we had more members come to the meeting to give their views. With 5% if membership in attendance counting board members it is hard to call it a hot button issue?

We will send a question/survey sent to the membership. They are the the people that get a say.

If anyone would like a link to recording let me know and I will speed up getting it posted.

Jeff thank you for everything you have put into MakeICT.

Jeff
I share many of your thoughts on personal responsibility.

As a board we are somewhere in the middle. It was a long meeting and after discussing $$ issues there was not much fight left in anyone. So we did kick the can one more meeting.

We are dammed either way we go. It would have been easier if we had more members come to the meeting to give their views. With 5% if membership in attendance counting board members it is hard to call it a hot button issue?

We will send a question/survey sent to the membership. They are the the people that get a say.

If anyone would like a link to recording let me know and I will speed up getting it posted.

Jeff thank you for everything you have put into MakeICT.

As an additional data point, Dallas Makerspace is updating their mask policy as follows:

Before coming to the space

If you are feeling sick do not come to the space
Take your temperature before leaving home. If it is 99 or greater, do not come to the space
If you have had a temperature of 99 or greater in the last 48 hours do not come to the space
Pack your own PPE and disinfectant wipes/cleaning products for use while at the space.

DMS will not be providing these for personal use
Facemasks
Masks, while no longer required for members, are highly recommended both inside the space and while on the grounds. This includes the front entrance patio areas and the ramps, dumpsters and bay door areas.
In addition:

Teachers may require masks to be worn by all students
Teachers and students must still follow all posted rules/signage within a given work or committee area
Social Distancing
Social Distancing, while no longer required for members, is highly recommended both inside the space and while on the grounds. This includes the front entrance patio areas and the ramps, dumpsters and bay door areas.
In addition:

Teachers may require social distancing from all students
Teachers and students must still follow all posted rules/signage within a given work or committee area
Things the Makerspace will not supply during the current COVID-19 restriction period

Personal/Project storage will remain closed until further notice
An ice machine in the galley. We do not have a way to ensure that the scoop remains sterile and the ice and drain lines free of contamination during these restrictions.
Disinfectant wipes/cleaning products
Contractors and service people
All contractors and vendors will be required to wear a mask when visiting or working at the space.

Tours
Group, individual, and open tours are now re-opened at the DMS. Tours will be held from 10am - 2pm on Saturdays. Non-members who wish to tour DMS must wear a mask.

Enforcement of rules
All members are expected to continue our ethos of “Be Excellent to Each Other”. This includes mask wearing and social distancing. Harassment of members/guests because of their masking choices is in direct violation of our Anti-harassment Policy. If anyone feels that they have been subjected to harassment, please contact a DMS Officer or a Director.

5 Likes

To avoid misleading anyone, this is their proposed policy, which has not yet been implemented. They will be considering this at their next board meeting.

4 Likes

It is good to know we are about in the same place as another makerspace. This will be a hard decision for the Board. The Board is tasked with keeping us financially solvent and not subject to liability issues as well as safe. If I were on the board, I would at least start off a bit on the conservative side.

4 Likes