Lathe tailstock

I noticed last night that the tailstock quill was not in the lathe. Disassembling revealed that the threads on both the male and female threads are galled badly. It’s a bad design, but cheap. I don’t know how expensive the parts are or if they are even available, but it seems a better solution would be to turn a brass or bronze insert to use with whatever new leadscrew is sourced or made.

6 Likes

We are haning trouble getting the parts, everywhere is out of stock or $200. John finally sourced some, but he may have gotten scammed. I really want to get it fixed, I thought about a helicoil but I think it is left hand threads. We could probably use some help

1 Like

How important is the through hole in the leadscrew? Without that, it’s easier to make, but can still be done. The steel on steel design is a cheap choice used by jet.

The Quill in the Tail Stock has been in this condition four to 5five months. I called Jet and was quoted $75 for the parts and $110 for freight. (Weight less that 1 pound.)

I went looking for a Woodturning friend or acquaintance that could pick up the parts and put them in an $8.00 Priority Mail Box. Then I was notified the quill was out of stock and would be several months to get back in stock.

I have found a different source of Jet Parts for $90.00 and freight at $25. Those were ordered. After emailing about no delivery and no notice, I received an email 1 week ago that all parts except one were in stock. I wrote back asking them to cancel the 3.28 part and ship the remaining. I expect to hear soon on the shipping.

This lathe is one step above a beginners lathe in the Jet line. The lathe and bed extension retails for about $1,200. There are two higher grade lathes in the Jet line, priced between $2,000 - $4,000.

This one has been at the Maker Space since 2016. It was purchased and donated by RW (on the stand. That is Royce Wallace, one of the founding members an a Past President of South Kansas Wood Turners. He obviously made and donated a quality stand for it that will outlive the lathe.

Getting 6+ years from this level of lathe is pretty good, given the conditions of use in a shared machine shop as we live with in a Maker Space. The PCB, off on switch and the quill are the only things that have needed to be replaced.

John Nicholas
Asst Woodshop Lead Lathes

4 Likes

Yeah, I have no real interest in the history of the machine. Just pointing out that it could be fixed, but if you’ve ordered parts, good for you. I’ll leave it alone.