Laserweb familiarization

Hello new users! I’ve got two times down this week to help people get up to speed with the new software:

1. Wednesday Nov 1 7-9pm
  2. Thursday Nov 2 6-8pm, or until the class gets in

In the mean time I’ve added the link to my laserweb slides to the wiki (see the Laser Web Screenshots link under Getting Started http://makeict.org/wiki/Laser_Cutter#Getting_started)

Yesterdays work went well, I had some testing and some laser cutting to do. 3-4 times I had to call Christian over to reset something because the software needed some weird commands, but we’ll keep working through it.

2 Likes

Wednesday night would work great for me.

Thanks,
Ian

Wednesday works for me also.

Discourse is looking good btw!

Wednesday (adding more characters to get past 20, because that’s a thing in Discourse)

thx,
ja

What if we can’t make those times? Times to come in the future posted here as well?

Looks like you have several for Wed. I will plan to be there at 6 on Thurs.

Here’s the idea: I’m going to use this time to throw my screenshot slide show at these guinea pig users and answer any questions. It will show me what the slides are lacking. Then I can send the slides to all laser cutter users so they can come in and do their project on their own without having to set up times. If people are nervous about that, they can re-take the free quick authorization class which is offered at least monthly.

One comment regarding the slides. You show how to add your SVG file and note that you no longer have to convert to DXF. That’s obviously a good thing, but my first reaction was, oh crap, you mean it only works with SVG? Most of what I do on the laser cutter starts out as DXF. I see from the LaserWeb wiki that it should work with DXF/SVG/BITMAP/JPG/PNG. I am assuming all of those work? Might want to note on the slide that you can still use DXF?

Steve

Haven’t tried much of other filetypes, but I did import a simple DXF the other day and it worked fine. It cut the whole shape as one piece without having to run some silly ‘Unite Lines’ command.

I will not make it tonight.

Ian joined me, and we successfully cut out a very large cardboard snowflake and then engraved a unicorn! er, picture of a unicorn. no engraving on actual unicorns, that’d be mean.

I’ll be back tonight. I also printed the slides and left them in a 3-ring binder on the table that I’ll point people towards.

1 Like

I like the new software. It’s much more like the shop-bot & plasma cutter software, but not quite the same.

When I go to “Add a document” in my local install of LaserWeb, I have the following file types:
*.png, *.jpg, *.jpeg, *.bmp, *.gcode, *.g, *.svg, *.dxf, *.tap, *.gc, & *.nc.