Laser reservation calendar

I rarely use the lasers anymore but there’s nothing on the calendar, and I have a job to do. So, I can still see it on my calendars, the classes listed and one other user, but when I try to add a reservation from my phone, it doesn’t show up as a calendar I can use. Is this just a me thing?

1 Like

If you’re on a phone, Google likes to switch my calendar to my “default” account no matter what I do which makes it hard to add things to stuff like the laser cutter calendar.

2 Likes

I don’t think anyone uses the calendar to schedule laser time anymore.

1 Like

Hmmm whenever I have a job that is important to be out, then I will put it on the calendar.

3 Likes

It’s still discussed in laser class as the appropriate way to reserve the laser, though.

···

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 9, 2023, at 1:01 PM, Gemma Blackburn via MakeICT Forum noreply@talk.makeict.org wrote:

| gemma Membership
September 9 |

• | - |

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

Previous Replies

| shack MakeICT Member
September 9 |

• | - |

If you’re on a phone, Google likes to switch my calendar to my “default” account no matter what I do which makes it hard to add things to stuff like the laser cutter calendar.

| whateg01
September 9 |

• | - |

I rarely use the lasers anymore but there’s nothing on the calendar, and I have a job to do. So, I can still see it on my calendars, the classes listed and one other user, but when I try to add a reservation from my phone, it doesn’t show up as a calendar I can use. Is this just a me thing?

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

3 Likes

I can see it too select it to view. Just can’t select it to add to it.

To add, I would like to reserve a spot because I’m going to cutting some parts for a friend, meeting him there, and don’t want to have him drive in from Andover just to find that everything is in use and he wasted his time driving over. That was the point of the calendar, after all.

2 Likes

I agree that it would be nice to have the calendar used for scheduling. Some of the problems I see with it are:

• We can use the laser without signing up
    ** Could badging-in “auto-signup” on the calendar? What duration would it use?
  • If someone puts in a reservation and doesn’t show up can anyone use the laser?
    ** How long we we have to wait before using it?
    ** If the original user doesn’t show up within a timeframe (ex. 15 minutes) do they forfeit the timeslot?
  • Would there be a limit on total time an individual could reserve in a week or month?

I think it would be great to have the calendar used so we know a machine is available without having to physically be there. Would anyone like to meet to discuss how to make it work? (I’d prefer not using the forum for the discussion as it seems those threads skip the rails quickly.)

3 Likes

Seems like we made it work just fine in the old building, even when there was only one. I think generally speaking, people would just use it until the scheduled person showed up. I want to say, just use common sense and courtesy. It seems like there’s been a push lately to formalize processes but I still think that works just fine. The other thing that we used to be able to do is call the space and ask if anybody is on the machine, but that’s not really an option anymore. I know there were a couple times when I camped out on a machine for an extended period of time. Once was a solar death ray, I mean cooker, and the other was the Eiffel tower build. Both times, if somebody showed up who needed the machine, I would let them use it and I would take a break. Again courtesy.

3 Likes

I feel like once upon a time, the max number of hours you could reserve in a month was 4.
But I’ve slept since then, so maybe I’m wrong.

···

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 10, 2023, at 1:00 PM, David Hanson via MakeICT Forum noreply@talk.makeict.org wrote:

| whateg01
September 10 |

• | - |

Seems like we made it work just fine in the old building, even when there was only one. I think generally speaking, people would just use it until the scheduled person showed up. I want to say, just use common sense and courtesy. It seems like there’s been a push lately to formalize processes but I still think that works just fine. The other thing that we used to be able to do is call the space and ask if anybody is on the machine, but that’s not really an option anymore. I know there were a couple times when I camped out on a machine for an extended period of time. Once was a solar death ray, I mean cooker, and the other was the Eiffel tower build. Both times, if somebody showed up who needed the machine, I would let them use it and I would take a break. Again courtesy.

In Reply To

| xrunner MakeICT Member
September 10 |

• | - |

I agree that it would be nice to have the calendar used for scheduling. Some of the problems I see with it are: We can use the laser without signing up ** Could badging-in “auto-signup” on the calendar? What duration would it use? If someone puts in a reservation and doesn’t show up can anyone us…

Previous Replies

| xrunner MakeICT Member
September 10 |

• | - |

I agree that it would be nice to have the calendar used for scheduling. Some of the problems I see with it are:

• We can use the laser without signing up
    ** Could badging-in “auto-signup” on the calendar? What duration would it use?
  • If someone puts in a reservation and doesn’t show up can anyone use the laser?
    ** How long we we have to wait before using it?
    ** If the original user doesn’t show up within a timeframe (ex. 15 minutes) do they forfeit the timeslot?
  • Would there be a limit on total time an individual could reserve in a week or month?

I think it would be great to have the calendar used so we know a machine is available without having to physically be there. Would anyone like to meet to discuss how to make it work? (I’d prefer not using the forum for the discussion as it seems those threads skip the rails quickly.)

| whateg01
September 9 |

• | - |

I can see it too select it to view. Just can’t select it to add to it.

To add, I would like to reserve a spot because I’m going to cutting some parts for a friend, meeting him there, and don’t want to have him drive in from Andover just to find that everything is in use and he wasted his time driving over. That was the point of the calendar, after all.

| Kez Maker Of Things That Do The Thing
September 9 |

• | - |

It’s still discussed in laser class as the appropriate way to reserve the laser, though.

··· (click to show quoted text, requires login)

| ladeana Board Member & Classroom Management
September 9 |

• | - |

Hmmm whenever I have a job that is important to be out, then I will put it on the calendar.

| gemma Membership
September 9 |

• | - |

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

I still talk about it in the class but I’ve had pretty good luck just finding an open laser when I go in so I haven’t used the calendar as much. I still check it, just don’t make a lot of reservations. I think the calendar was more popular in the old space because we only had one laser, so time was precious.

I predict that when November/December come around and everybody’s needing to make Christmas presents, the calendar is going to be more popular :slight_smile:

I’ve added a recommendation to the class to always put WHICH laser you’re reserving on the calendar. I know we usually don’t care, but that way if you show up and both lasers are being used, you know which person to kick off.

4 Likes

Also a good idea because of the larger cutting area on the green machine

2 Likes

“Back in the day”, when we only had Mario (and he didn’t have a name) the calendar was essential in finding time on the laser. That sucker was running 15-20 hours a day most days. With the move to the new space & the addition of Luigi, I think the pressure to use it has lessened some. The big caveat was, if you reserved time on the calendar and you got there and it was in use, you had the “right” to (politely) kick the person off as soon as their current run was completed.

This happened to me a couple times & the people on the laser were more than happy to hop off and give me my time. I usually had small runs & finished in 20-30 minutes.

So, if I had someone coming down to meet me @whateg01, I would surely put it on the calendar. If they’re in use, mention the reservation & then give them a bit to clear out. That would give you the perfect opportunity to show your friend around the space!

1 Like

I think you missed the point of my post. I was not able to add to the calendar or I would have. It’s fixed now. As for showing my friend around, he’s seen it before, as has his wife. I did get the chance to show him the new sand blaster, though, after we finished his parts.

4 Likes

Sorry the conversation had strayed by the time I replied. I also had no valid input to help with your issue. :frowning:

Glad they got you fixed!