Laser etching glass

Bought this picture of a crab on glass I thought it would be cool to laser etch thru the glass onto the paper trim vacation spots the wife and I have been and went diving at.
The results were unexpected but super cool it did not touch the paper at all but etched the glass beautifully.

Wife absolutely loves it !!

6 Likes

NICE!!! :grinning:

Could some of you who have engraved glass share the settings you used and a pic of results?

I am considering using the laser to etch some glass but I haven’t been very impressed with the quality I got in testing I’ve done before. I think I may be more inclined to sand blast the glass instead.

2 Likes

Or acid etch.

I need to get back to the laser cutter but I’ve done glass, just not at makeict.

Sandblasting gives a very soft look and feel, laser is harsh, and acid etch is somewhere in the middle.

There are different kinds of glass to be aware of too. Soda lime is what most consumer glass is. It doesn’t like fast changes in temp. Which can be an advantage. The bottle slide trick of string gasoline then quenching in cold water (wtf is he talking about? https://danlovesguitars.com/2011/08/how-to-make-a-slide/ ) takes advantage of that trait. The batch crystal that Karg uses is a totally different chemistry, and is easier to anneal and has (my opinion) better clarity. (It also holds the heat better when you work it which is probably why it’s favored among glass blowers)

So this totally doesn’t answer your question, it may spark some ideas.

I also love sandblasted wood for some reason.

4 Likes

Ive etched glass with my laser at home and had great results i did break a few bottles when i got to close to the edge of the glass where it was thick and i might have been going too hot so i would start low and build up to hotter or faster/hot etch is desired

All about experimenting!

I dont have to much trouble on glass that is flat

4 Likes

Ok today my wife had me make this glass engraving for my granddaughters middle school graduation my laser is 100 watt laser my settings are, fill 400 speed 40 power 40 min power

Hope this helps

4 Likes

I ran a test using different settings. speed/power are listed for each.

9 Likes