Laser engrave food

What would be the power/speed settings I would want to use if I wanted to laser engrave something on a pumpkin pie?

If you plan on eating the pie, don’t put it in our laser cutter. Trust me, it will not taste good when it comes back out.

3 Likes

I have laser engraved sugar cookies before. They were cute, but the burnt taste was definitely a detraction. I would recommend laser cutting a stencil, maybe out of fairly thin acrylic. Hobby Lobby has some reasonably priced sheets. Then you can use the stencil with sprinkled cinnamon and sugar, or maybe melted chocolate. If you thin the chocolate with some coconut oil, you could sort of squeegee it across your stencil, like screen printing. I’d practice some different techniques first on a cutting board or waxed paper.

2 Likes

Oh Christian you’re just saying that because somebody tries it every year.

But never with pie! Makers don’t give up!

1 Like

Actually, somebody engraved a pumpkin pie last year.

1 Like

Crud. I only knew about the toast, sugar cookies, and tortilla.

One of these days we’ll find one that works.

Creme brulee

To clarify, you should not consume anything that has been in one of our lasers. All of the residue and dust from the various materials that are run through those machines does not make good seasoning.

2 Likes

I don’t eat sweets. What would be the recomended power/speed settings for a material type that is as delicate as pumpkin pie?

1 Like

I’m like a really brave seagull when it comes to eating things that maybe shouldn’t be eaten. I can confirm that nothing which comes out of the laser cutter should be consumed as food. As much as I want this to work, it just doesn’t :frowning:

Please don’t ruin a perfectly good pumpkin pie! :bird: Caw! Caw!

1 Like

Glowforge, a company that makes smaller consumer laser cutters, has been running facebook ads showing their products engraving pies. You may be able to find what settings they use to get a better idea. I still probably wouldn’t eat it. :nauseated_face:

1 Like

Did some searching on the glowforge forums, because I’ll always be curious about this.

Glowforge says to only engrave food if you’ve never engraved anything else. Run a food-exclusive laser, in other words.

I found this thread: https://community.glowforge.com/t/engraved-foods/1151/12

And this comment:

I have minimal experience with food cutting. But that experience has been universally disgusting. One of my students used our laser cutter to slice his pizza, because the Pizza Hut guys failed to cut all the way through. My office was nearly inhabitable, and his pizza tasted like tar.

Well I think that settles it. Laser cut pies should be for looksies, not for eatsies. :rofl:

2 Likes